cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X99-S Motherboard failing to boot

wellmoon
Level 7
Hey all,

I've got a custom PC build based on an Asus X99-S motherboard purchased in 2015. Other components include an Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30GHz CPU, an EVGA Supernova 750W 80+ Gold PSU (both purchased at the same time as the motherboard), GeForce 9800 GT (I think) graphics card, 16gb RAM. Cooling is from a Corsair Hydro AIO which is probably the newest component and was added maybe a year / 18 months ago, updating a previous Hydro model.

The machine has worked flawlessly for years, and I use it daily, including yesterday.

This morning, I went to switch it on and it does switch on, as in the lights on the graphics card and cooler come on, but the machine doesn't actually boot. There is no output to the monitors, and the back-lit keyboard doesn't illuminate (which usually illuminates just after switching on).

There error code display on the motherboard just says 00 (usually it says 40). There are a couple of LEDs on the motherboard below the RAM modules, 1 to the left of the CPU, one to the right. These light up in a sequence - the left one lights up and stays solid for about 15 seconds, then this one goes out and the right-side LED flashes once. Then both are dark for a few seconds before the sequence repeats.

From the googling I've done so far I'm inclined to think the motherboard may be at fault - is there some way I can determine what the problem is?
5 REPLIES 5

Mixer
Level 7
[
Did you recently flash or update the bios?

I've got a custom PC build based on an Asus X99-S motherboard purchased in 2015. Other components include an Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30GHz CPU, an EVGA Supernova 750W 80+ Gold PSU (both purchased at the same time as the motherboard), GeForce 9800 GT (I think) graphics card, 16gb RAM. Cooling is from a Corsair Hydro AIO which is probably the newest component and was added maybe a year / 18 months ago, updating a previous Hydro model.

The machine has worked flawlessly for years, and I use it daily, including yesterday.

This morning, I went to switch it on and it does switch on, as in the lights on the graphics card and cooler come on, but the machine doesn't actually boot. There is no output to the monitors, and the back-lit keyboard doesn't illuminate (which usually illuminates just after switching on).

There error code display on the motherboard just says 00 (usually it says 40). There are a couple of LEDs on the motherboard below the RAM modules, 1 to the left of the CPU, one to the right. These light up in a sequence - the left one lights up and stays solid for about 15 seconds, then this one goes out and the right-side LED flashes once. Then both are dark for a few seconds before the sequence repeats.

From the googling I've done so far I'm inclined to think the motherboard may be at fault - is there some way I can determine what the problem is?

Mixer wrote:

Did you recently flash or update the bios?

Nope, no changes like that at all, just regular use (gaming, video production, web browsing) for probably a year at least

Ok. On some boards there is an incompatibility with newer bios + g skill ram running in xmp mode.

Mixer wrote:
Ok. On some boards there is an incompatibility with newer bios + g skill ram running in xmp mode.

The RAM is TeamGroup Elite if that makes a difference.

vennacher
Level 7
A maybe...

My son has an X99 Deluxe that appeared to stop working. I decided to piddle with it and found it hadn't stopped working, but the boot up was painfully slow, like 45 minutes slow. I caught it by chance and was able to enter the bios and saw the MEI firmware was missing ("n/a"). Bought a new bios chip and now it works fine.

Leave it on overnight and see if it eventually boots up. If yes, then maybe give that a try. Cost was $15 + post from bios-chip24.com
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07