cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Upgrade advice to 64GB.

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
I want to upgrade my RAM, I've always had 16 GB but it's not enough. I was thinking about possibly doing 64 GB, which I understand is way overkill.

This is what I currently have, 2800Mhz RAM: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MPIEDZ8

I've run into two problems. The Compatible RAM doc lists things that I can't find anymore, plus it doesn't really detail RAM speed of each item. I want something just as fast or faster, and I understand the fastest compatible ram is 3300Mhz. I also want something that'll work right out of the box, no tweaking necessary.

Any suggestions on what to get, what's still available? Or what you're using?

I went on NewEgg to look for Desktop RAM, applied the filters for the speed and capacity and I don't think any of those choices are on the compatible RAM list.

Motherboard: Rampage V Extreme

Other than that, I have no reason to upgrade my computer right now. It's otherwise working great. I may need a new video card, if I ever get a 4K monitor, though.

9/23/2020 EDIT: I purchased CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model ..., installed it and it seems to work at base clock speed (2133MHz). Unfortunately when attempting to apply the XMP profile, my first observation was that there was now only 1 XMP Profile, which did not work at all. My BIOS would not load, so I shut my computer off for 20 minutes, restarted and managed to get into BIOS where an "Overclocking Failure" message was displayed.

With my previous RAM, the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MPIEDZ8, there were two XMP profiles. Only the first one worked, the second one did not.
11 REPLIES 11

raju2529
Level 7
RAM Modules upgrade depends upon the following.
1. Chipset with limited frequency
2. Processor brand, model and its frequency and sloe designed on selected chipset.
3. Motherboard designed based on seleted chipset
4.BIOSFirmware is programed on selected chipset, for particulr motherboard, for comptble processors models, for maximum support of RAM mpdules with frequency.

i request you to read all the techinical documnets from motherboard manual, processor model , chipset design model.

give me the folllowing details
1. motherboard brand , name , model with version with bios v
2. processor brand , name , model with frequency
3. current ram mofule with frequency , whether its single side channel or dual sided channel
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529 wrote:
RAM Modules upgrade depends upon the following.
1. Chipset with limited frequency
2. Processor brand, model and its frequency and sloe designed on selected chipset.
3. Motherboard designed based on seleted chipset
4.BIOSFirmware is programed on selected chipset, for particulr motherboard, for comptble processors models, for maximum support of RAM mpdules with frequency.

i request you to read all the techinical documnets from motherboard manual, processor model , chipset design model.

give me the folllowing details
1. motherboard brand , name , model with version with bios v
2. processor brand , name , model with frequency
3. current ram mofule with frequency , whether its single side channel or dual sided channel

1. Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME, Extended ATX x99 Motherboard , LGA 2011-V3 Socket, DDR4 3300Mhz+(OC)
2. Processor: Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W Desktop Processor BX80648I75960X - Running @ 3.0 MHz, not overclocked
3. RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Memory - No XMP Profile applied, running at base speed of 2133 MHz. Not sure what you mean by single side channel or dual sided channel.

raju2529
Level 7
Joshskorn. I checked the technical specifications of mother board max 64GB supported.
Also I checked processor specifications, max 2133 Mhz. 64GB supported.
So real doubts comes here.
You must read user manual of the motherboard, might it contains recommend memory configurations
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529 wrote:
Joshskorn. I checked the technical specifications of mother board max 64GB supported.
Also I checked processor specifications, max 2133 Mhz. 64GB supported.
So real doubts comes here.
You must read user manual of the motherboard, might it contains recommend memory configurations

Thanks but I was hoping other users would chime in and explain their 64GB RAM configurations, just so I could buy that, or at least give me advice as to which sticks currently being sold will work. I'm not looking to tweak anything, just plug in and play. Maybe apply XMP, but that's it.

JOSHSKORN wrote:
Thanks but I was hoping other users would chime in and explain their 64GB RAM configurations, just so I could buy that, or at least give me advice as to which sticks currently being sold will work. I'm not looking to tweak anything, just plug in and play. Maybe apply XMP, but that's it.

Years ago Chino posted a sticky on getting 128GB to work on this board - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84756-128GB-DDR4-Memory-Setup-For-Rampage-V-Extreme. Check it out; same principles apply to 64GB.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Your board will go higher than 2133. That’s just the Jdec standard. Anything past Jdec standard is considered an OC.*
I’d buy the lowest latency 64GB 3200 kit you *can find. If it won’t run at XMP you can dial it back. Biggest thing, buy a kit!!! Don’t add to what you have.*
*3200 CL14 Samsung B die kits are easy to come by.

64GB as in 8x8. Plays nicer than 4x16. *

Gskill has a nice kit on NewEgg. F4-*3200C14Q2-64GTZR

BigJohnny wrote:
Your board will go higher than 2133. That’s just the Jdec standard. Anything past Jdec standard is considered an OC.*
I’d buy the lowest latency 64GB 3200 kit you *can find. If it won’t run at XMP you can dial it back. Biggest thing, buy a kit!!! Don’t add to what you have.*
*3200 CL14 Samsung B die kits are easy to come by.

64GB as in 8x8. Plays nicer than 4x16. *

Gskill has a nice kit on NewEgg. F4-*3200C14Q2-64GTZR

I don't think there's enough clearance from my CPU fan to use those, but I could be wrong. I have a Noctua NH-U14S. Besides, that seems a bit out of my price range at nearly $800. Granted, I paid nearly $500 (I think??) for the RAM I have now back in 2014. I don't want to do that again. I'll be content with 2800MHz RAM.

JOSHSKORN wrote:
I don't think there's enough clearance from my CPU fan to use those, but I could be wrong. I have a Noctua NH-U14S. Besides, that seems a bit out of my price range at nearly $800. Granted, I paid nearly $500 (I think??) for the RAM I have now back in 2014. I don't want to do that again. I'll be content with 2800MHz RAM.

Hi,
Actually 652.us sold by newegg for 8x8gb kit 3200c14
I have the 4x8gb kit on my x99 works great no where on my boards qvl list or g-skill either stuff just works.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232347
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Actually 652.us sold by newegg for 8x8gb kit 3200c14
I have the 4x8gb kit on my x99 works great no where on my boards qvl list or g-skill either stuff just works.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232347

"stuff just works"...so basically plug the sticks in and they work without tweaking any settings?