cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theta 7.1 - setup question, poor rear distinction

JensbJensB
Level 7
Hi,

I understand the true surround with theta 7.1 is a bit of a gimmick given the individual drivers are all so close to the ear but anyways.
I struggle with Theta 7.1 giving pretty poor positioning from the rear.
In Overwatch that is the only game I play at the moment with solid audio support it is not a distinct difference from side'ish to rear.
I will desrcibe it based on a dial of a clock from in lack of imagination, from 18:30 - 20:30 (6:30pm - 8:30pm) and same obviously on the right side. Problem is it's not distinct at all and often hard to tell which ways its leaning towards.

What I first want to make sure is that I havent ****ed up any setings so will sum them up.

Windows 10
Realtek install 7.1 all fine no issues
Win detect it as a speaker (not a headset) as it shouild
Theta is set to a 7.1 surround system
Spatial sound disabled

Theta settings in Armory (the proper one)
Set as 7.1 surround
Virtual Surround enabled
Equalizer flat or disabled
Bass boost disabled

Overwatch settings
Atmos disabled

All the above is what I've read the correct settings to get the best positioning yet it is to be honest, crap, in terms of side <-> rear destinction.
Am I missing some setting, made some wrong setting, got a faulty pair from Asus or anything else?
(I have tried with all other kinds of stuff just to try, enabling/disabling some of the above mentioned settings)
Also worth mentioning, fiddling with channel mixer does not improve anything.

Thankful for input, stay safe from Corona.

Best regards
Jens
6 REPLIES 6

EldersPride
Level 7
JensbJensB wrote:
Hi,

I understand the true surround with theta 7.1 is a bit of a gimmick given the individual drivers are all so close to the ear but anyways.
In Overwatch that is the only game I play at the moment with solid audio support it is not a distinct difference from side'ish to rear.
I will desrcibe it based on a dial of a clock from in lack of imagination, from 18:30 - 20:30 (6:30pm - 8:30pm) and same obviously on the right side. Problem is it's not distinct at all and often hard to tell which ways its leaning towards.

What I first want to make sure is that I havent ****ed up any setings so will sum them up.

Windows 10
Spatial sound disabled

Set as 7.1 surround
Virtual Surround enabled
Bass boost disabled

Overwatch settings
Atmos disabled

All the above is what I've read the correct settings to get the best positioning yet it is to be honest, crap, in terms of side <-> rear destinction.
Am I missing some setting, made some wrong setting, got a faulty pair from Asus or anything else?
(I have tried with all other kinds of stuff just to try, enabling/disabling some of the above mentioned settings)

Best regards
Jens

Any information into this problem would be helpful! i have better sound in some cheap turtle beaches with windows virtual 7.1!

EldersPride wrote:
Any information into this problem would be helpful! i have better sound in some cheap turtle beaches with windows virtual 7.1!

Come on, why would you use VIRTUAL SURROUND, when you have REAL surround? Does anyone not use their noggin and think logically? You set the device up in Windows as a 7.1. You disable any virtualization or spatialization or it screws things up.

HeavyHemi wrote:
Come on, why would you use VIRTUAL SURROUND, when you have REAL surround? Does anyone not use their noggin and think logically? You set the device up in Windows as a 7.1. You disable any virtualization or spatialization or it screws things up.

Because Theta uses the Virtual Surround In Armory to simulate the BASS. It doesn't have a discreet BASS driver. From the Product page:
"7.1 surround sound with eight ASUS Essence drivers and virtual subwoofers for incredibly immersive gaming audio and powerful bass"

iadda320
Level 7
JensbJensB wrote:
Hi,

Windows 10
Spatial sound disabled

Set as 7.1 surround
Virtual Surround enabled
Bass boost disabled

Overwatch settings
Atmos disabled

Best regards
Jens

Disabilita il Sorround virtuale poiché se hai impostato il 7.1 reale, con Sorround virtuale abilitato fa confusione. Prova a disattivarlo e vede se il posizionamento è migliore!!!

HeavyHemi
Level 8
JensbJensB wrote:
Hi,

Windows 10
Spatial sound disabled

Set as 7.1 surround
Virtual Surround enabled
Bass boost disabled

Overwatch settings
Atmos disabled

Best regards
Jens

Yes, you f'd up. 😛 VIRTUAL SURROUND should not be enabled as you're not using VIRTUAL but TRUE surround. Virtual is to SIMULATE surround speakers. You have the physical speakers in the headset. DISABLE VIRTUAL SURROUND.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Best to disable any virtual/spatial surround effects if you already have true surround in the Theta.