Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Intermittent No Display and No POST on ASUS X570-P

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any ideas as i'm running out of things to try. I recently purchased a new system, specs below, which would about 50% of the time not POST or give any display output (fans on/lights on etc). When it does boot it runs perfect and stable with good scores.

Most usual remedies, such as turning off fast startup, clean install and format of all drives, BIOS restart/clear, removing peripherals, plugging directly into the wall rather than the multi-socket seemed to make no difference. Hardware wise all usual tests such as MEMtest as well as swapping RAM to different slots or only running one seem to make no difference either. The system was RTM who swapped out the motherboard and restarted it multiple times and sent it back however the same fault has popped up again in the days after starting to use it again.

Any ideas?

I'm left with the idea it could be a power cycling issue (windows power plan?) as the only discernible pattern i could figure out was that the board was giving out USB power to mouse/keyboard even with ErP disabled/enabled. The only other thing i've come across on many forums is RAM/SOC voltage settings but messing with them is outside my comfort zone.

Any winning fix and ill send you a pizza

SPECS

Asus PRIME X570-P (BIOS 1405)

EVGA RTX2080 SUPER BLACK

2TB Sgate 2.5FCuda ST2000LX001

2 x 16G CorsVengLPX DDR4 3200

650W Corsair RM650X ATX PS

AMD RYZEN 9 3900X

Corsair H100x CPU Cooler

500GB Ssung 860 EVO 2.5 SSD SA

Samsung 500GB 970 EVO PLUS

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array raju2529 PC Specs
    raju2529 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)R542UQ-DM153 ( X542UQ.309SA )
    MotherboardAsus Builtin Motherboard X542UQ
    ProcessorIntel core i5 7200u @2.5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Adata 2400 Mhz 16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1intel Hd 620 graphics 1GB DDR3 DCH WHQL driver v29.20.100.9116
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GeForce 940MX 2GB GDDR5 DCH WHQL driver v27.21.14.6521
    Graphics Card #3nil
    Graphics Card #4nil
    Sound CardRealtek HD Audio controller with codec 294 WHQL driver v6.0.9071.1
    MonitorBuiltin Lcd monitor model BOE
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 1000GB SSD M.2. 2280
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB 2.5inch 5400rpm and Seagate 2TB 2.5inch 5400rpm2.5 inch
    CPU CoolerBuilt-in
    CaseFrom factory
    Power Supply65W
    Keyboard Built in keyboard
    Mouse Built in mouse
    Headset Purchased Philips HeadSet
    Mouse Pad nil
    Headset/Speakers Realtek Builtin Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit v20H2 build no 19042.685
    Network RouterBsnl Wi-Fi modem with router
    Accessory #1 Dell Wired Mouse
    Accessory #2 Laptop Cooling table with fan
    Accessory #3 Secureye Usb finger print scanner added seperately for Windows Hello

No display means. First thing we should check RAM modules, Remove and reinsert RAM module.
    in Bios, adjust Ram frequency set to auto.
    Make sure RAM modules are double sided ,make sure RAm frequency must be compatible with motherboard specifications.
    Check the monitor cable loose connections between MB and monitor.
    Try with VGA port or HDMi port.
    Check power cable's from powersupply to the motherboard,make sure it's not loose connection. Use recommend powersupply by motherboard manual

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by raju2529 View Post
    No display means. First thing we should check RAM modules, Remove and reinsert RAM module.
    in Bios, adjust Ram frequency set to auto.
    Make sure RAM modules are double sided ,make sure RAm frequency must be compatible with motherboard specifications.
    Check the monitor cable loose connections between MB and monitor.
    Try with VGA port or HDMi port.
    Check power cable's from powersupply to the motherboard,make sure it's not loose connection. Use recommend powersupply by motherboard manual
    Hi Raj,

Thanks for replying
    RAM has been tried seperately and tested, it is double sided, no loose cables, HDMI port on board does not give any display as well. Powersupply is tested and approved by MB.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array raju2529 PC Specs
    raju2529 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)R542UQ-DM153 ( X542UQ.309SA )
    MotherboardAsus Builtin Motherboard X542UQ
    ProcessorIntel core i5 7200u @2.5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Adata 2400 Mhz 16GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1intel Hd 620 graphics 1GB DDR3 DCH WHQL driver v29.20.100.9116
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GeForce 940MX 2GB GDDR5 DCH WHQL driver v27.21.14.6521
    Graphics Card #3nil
    Graphics Card #4nil
    Sound CardRealtek HD Audio controller with codec 294 WHQL driver v6.0.9071.1
    MonitorBuiltin Lcd monitor model BOE
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 1000GB SSD M.2. 2280
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB 2.5inch 5400rpm and Seagate 2TB 2.5inch 5400rpm2.5 inch
    CPU CoolerBuilt-in
    CaseFrom factory
    Power Supply65W
    Keyboard Built in keyboard
    Mouse Built in mouse
    Headset Purchased Philips HeadSet
    Mouse Pad nil
    Headset/Speakers Realtek Builtin Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit v20H2 build no 19042.685
    Network RouterBsnl Wi-Fi modem with router
    Accessory #1 Dell Wired Mouse
    Accessory #2 Laptop Cooling table with fan
    Accessory #3 Secureye Usb finger print scanner added seperately for Windows Hello

nocarolinhr478 ,
    try with different cables from different brands , make sure monitor is on

New ROGer Array bluestang PC Specs
    bluestang PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 3900X
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C15D-16GTZ (2 kits)
    Graphics Card #1MSI Armor OC 1660ti
    Graphics Card #2MSI Armor OC 1660ti
    MonitorASUS VZ249H
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe
    Storage #22x WD Red 10TB (RAID1)
    CPU CoolerFractal Design Celcius S36
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe TG
    Power SupplySeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 850W
    Keyboard Logitech MK-710 Combo
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS RT-N66U

Are you sure that Power Supply is up to task for that system? Does it have the 8-pin + 4-pin CPU power connectors available that the MB needs?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
    Are you sure that Power Supply is up to task for that system? Does it have the 8-pin + 4-pin CPU power connectors available that the MB needs?
    I mean by my calculation even with OC the system should use 500hz max? and why would the fault be intermittent if the system didnt have enough power?

New ROGer Array bluestang PC Specs
    bluestang PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
    ProcessorRyzen 3900X
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C15D-16GTZ (2 kits)
    Graphics Card #1MSI Armor OC 1660ti
    Graphics Card #2MSI Armor OC 1660ti
    MonitorASUS VZ249H
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe
    Storage #22x WD Red 10TB (RAID1)
    CPU CoolerFractal Design Celcius S36
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Luxe TG
    Power SupplySeaSonic Focus Plus Platinum 850W
    Keyboard Logitech MK-710 Combo
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS RT-N66U

^ That didn't answer my question about whether you have both CPU power connections on the Mother Board filled or not. If it was just a 2700X or 3700X, I would say no biggie as it's just for extra power for OC'ing. But you have a 3900X in your system with a 2080 Super.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by bluestang View Post
    ^ That didn't answer my question about whether you have both CPU power connections on the Mother Board filled or not. If it was just a 2700X or 3700X, I would say no biggie as it's just for extra power for OC'ing. But you have a 3900X in your system with a 2080 Super.

Sorry, no it doesn't it only has the 8pin not the extra 4 pin, but its not essential and why would that make the error intermittant?
    https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Catego.../CP-9020178-UK
    Last edited by nocarolinhr478; 04-09-2020 at 06:49 PM.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)FA506IU-AL130T x 2
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)4 x G.SKILL F4-3800C14D-16GTZN 14-16-16-36 Samsung B-Die
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    Sound CardArctis DAC
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

Quote Originally Posted by nocarolinhr478 View Post
    Any ideas?

I'm left with the idea it could be a power cycling issue (windows power plan?) as the only discernible pattern i could figure out was that the board was giving out USB power to mouse/keyboard even with ErP disabled/enabled. The only other thing i've come across on many forums is RAM/SOC voltage settings but messing with them is outside my comfort zone.
    Can you explain the intermittent times, like does it power on and fans turn for second than nothing, does no POST have more details to it, only cold boot, etc ?

Are you running latest bios ?

If your AIO has a backing plate, did you put it on the right way round or is it possible to overtighten the hold down screws (try 1/4 turn backoff and see if it fix the issue) ?

Quote Originally Posted by nocarolinhr478 View Post
    Sorry, no it doesn't it only has the 8pin not the extra 4 pin, but its not essential and why would that make the error intermittant?
    The motherboard has pro cool connector - 8 + 4
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X570-P and the PSU you mention has the ability to connect both.
    Firstly, the motherboard manual actually recommends it for 3900x and does so because it will cause heat in places not measured by the motherboard. In my mind there is not much point in measuring VRM temp when you create choke point at power connectors is there ? (an example)

A lot of posts by people claiming this isn't needed own a 3600 isn't which is never going to draw enough amps but the 3900x and 3950x - assuming nothing wrong with cables or tracks on the board can get close thus +4 is worth connecting and oh did i mention that motherboard manual actually recommends it.
    Last edited by RedSector73; 04-10-2020 at 01:29 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by RedSector73 View Post
    Can you explain the intermittent times, like does it power on and fans turn for second than nothing, does no POST have more details to it, only cold boot, etc ?

Are you running latest bios ?

If your AIO has a backing plate, did you put it on the right way round or is it possible to overtighten the hold down screws (try 1/4 turn backoff and see if it fix the issue) ?

The motherboard has pro cool connector - 8 + 4
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X570-P and the PSU you mention has the ability to connect both.
    Firstly, the motherboard manual actually recommends it for 3900x and does so because it will cause heat in places not measured by the motherboard. In my mind there is not much point in measuring VRM temp when you create choke point at power connectors is there ? (an example)

A lot of posts by people claiming this isn't needed own a 3600 isn't which is never going to draw enough amps but the 3900x and 3950x - assuming nothing wrong with cables or tracks on the board can get close thus +4 is worth connecting and oh did i mention that motherboard manual actually recommends it.
    Thanks for replying

Can you just attached any other 4 pin or do i need to switch out for another PSU? But i still dont see why this would be intermittant, surely it would boot or not boot and when it was RTM they put it on a rebooter for 50x without fault. Its only since returning and having full power cycling that the error has re-appeared.

Yes to latest bios 1405.

Intermittent wise, about 1 in 4 times, if it powers on normally, big fan woosh then settle, BIOS screen with USB mouse/keyboard light up. If it stalls, fans light and everything run normally but no usb power, no display output (hdmi or gpu).

I found a few similar threads that talk about RAM voltage and SOC as the fault.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast