cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A faulty Maximus VIII Formula motherboard?

IndigoRed
Level 7
Hi!

I have a problem with a Maximus VIII Formula motherboard. This motherboard has been lying around unused for a while, a few days ago I tried to see if I could use it to assemble a new computer. Please note that I am fairly confident in handling computer hardware but this is my first attempt at assembling a PC.

So, after placing all the required parts in the case and connecting the cables I switched the power on. Nothing happens other than some red leds flashing at a slow rate. After reading some messages in various forums, I tried to isolate the board by taking it out of the case and detach all the cables other than power to verify if it is shorted. After I switch the power on I get the same slow flashing. I attach a short video so you can see what is going on.

I can't find any information on this in the manual. My guess is that the motherboard is faulty and needs to be replaced but I would like to have a confirmation before I buy a new one.

All help is welcome but please bear in mind that I am not an expert assembler.

4 REPLIES 4

XIIIIX
Level 7
What core did you put in?
Dimm in A1 or B1?
Fan connected to CPU-header?
What Q-code?

A little more info would be useful:rolleyes:
XII

Your CPU is installed wrong (no pressure on CPU socket). If you delidded your CPU, you put the IHS on incorrectly (no pressure on CPU socket).

User’s Manual on page 2-3 and 2-4 (CPU installation).

Memory should be in DIMM_A2.

User's Manual Page 1-10 (System Memory) and page 2-7 (DIMM installation).

Thanks for the answer. So, something happened. I checked the CPU, apparently it was not sitting properly in the socket. I have two DIMM sticks (see picture) installed in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2. When I switch the power on and press the button start I get a Q-code 55, memory not installed. If I remove the stick in DIMM_B2 and restart the board the Q-code led goes through a full check and stops with a 99 code. I assume this says the motherboard is fine. I thought the problem was with a faulty memory stick in DIMM_B2. However, if I replace the stick in DIMM_A2 with the other stick I get a Q-code 99 again. So, it looks like both sticks are working. Any idea why I get a 55 code with both sticks?

When I rarely get a Q-Code 55 or 53, I use an eraser to clean the gold plated contacts on both sides of the RAM sticks and try not to lose my dentures when blowing away the eraser remains. It works for me. Some clean the RAM stick contacts with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.