cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING Sudden Failure - White LED

wcndave
Level 7
There doesn't seem to be a sub forum for this board, so posting here.

Using new computer for 2 days.
Today it just died - went black in an instance.
Then rebooted
Used for another 10 mins
Then rebooted again - this time, nothing on screen, no POST, not BIOS, nothing...

Noticed lights on MB, were in the following pattern.

long red. quick white, orange.
then repeat, every few seconds.

Looked at manual and saw each light has a specific part of the boot process, so booted again to see the order.
They go orange, red, white, and now just stop on white.

Given white is VGA and the Ryzen 3900X has no onboard VGA, i swapped out my GPU for another one.
Made no difference.

So it's not the GPU.

Asus support suggested CMOS reset, didn't help.
Then suggested removing all components bar one stick of RAM, CPU, GPU, primary boot drive.
Didn't help.

Anyone got any ideas.
15 REPLIES 15

RedSector73
Level 12
wcndave wrote:
Using new computer for 2 days.

Did you build it or buy it, what are the specifications of your computer system ?

What you provided is I have a computer system with 3900x and motherboard x570f and it's broke... fix it. I'd like to know what the system is first before saying what I think it could be or what is worth checking out as possible cause.

RedSector73 wrote:
Did you build it or buy it, what are the specifications of your computer system ?

What you provided is I have a computer system with 3900x and motherboard x570f and it's broke... fix it. I'd like to know what the system is first before saying what I think it could be or what is worth checking out as possible cause.

Hi, thanks for the response. I started without specs, as the immediate signal is "white LED showing on a MB, which means VGA, however there's no onboard VGA".

I was just wondering if there was a standard approach, or a known reason before going further.

Specs are: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26335868

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
x570f
Nvidia GTX 1660-Ti
Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 C18 4x16GB

It was self built, and went like this.

First CPU, 32GB RAM, NVMe drive, with stock cooler.
Then after a day, added after market cooler.
Then switched my old AMD GPU out for the NVIDIA GTX the next day
Then added another 32GB RAM later that day.

Ran a few tests, eg Prime95 to check cooling, all was fine, so started using it as my primary computer.

2 days later, I got the sudden shutdown.
What was odd, was that it rebooted once, and I continued, then it rebooted again, and I realised it wasn't just once off, so I rebooted again to check BIOS and it never reached BIOS. So it got progressively worse...

I'll probably have to return it, however that's a longer process, and over easter weekend, means I am without computer for a while, so was wondering if there was any known things I could try first.

Did you hook up both 8 + 4 power connectors above the CPU to the left. If you didn't than do this. Called pro cool II
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-F-Gaming/
You could try removing two ram sticks and use only from cpu slots 2 & 4.
You can try using bios-flashback and installing the latest bios.

Nice system btw.

RedSector73 wrote:
Did you hook up both 8 + 4 power connectors above the CPU to the left. If you didn't than do this. Called pro cool II
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-F-Gaming/
You could try removing two ram sticks and use only from cpu slots 2 & 4.
You can try using bios-flashback and installing the latest bios.

Nice system btw.

Thanks!

Interesting that you went for the power connectors first, as I have only the 8 pin connected.

I have an AX860i power supply, and it is not clear from the labelling what might go in the 4-pin connector.

The power supply says it supports both 8 and 4 pin, however not sure if that means at the same time.
The board says 8, or 8+4
Also on the back of the power supply, it has 4+4CPU, and then 6+2 PCI-E, so are they the same thing?

To avoid breaking anything, given the board manual says 8 only is ok, I went with that. However if I can just take another CPU power cable and plug from the second block in the red ring below, into the 4 pin on the board, I can give that a go.

Asus support already recommended a low RAM, no peripheral approach, and I updated the BIOS the day I built it, so was latest version 2 days ago.

One final thing, I also put the GPU in slot 2, however I am not sure if that's what's intended based on this table in the MB manual.

My reason was that in slot 1 there is no space behind the GPU to reach the PCIE release lever, so you can't get the card out, without taking of the CPU cooler, which requires re-thermal pasting etc. However I'd be surprised if this was causing any issues. But who knows!

Thanks again!

So I added the second power cable, the MB still stops on white LED.

So I changed the GPU, as it stops on the white VGA light, and that made no difference.

Now I changed the MB, and that makes no difference!

The only parts not swapped are the CPU and the power supply. The PSU is passing it's self test, and the CPU passes the MB test...

Completely stumped now, don't know where I can go from here.

jaunkst
Level 7
Okay, So I think I am having trouble with video on my x570-E because of UEFI problems.

Hello, I was just looking at your problem. I suggest that you check if your CPU has any bent or broken pins. BTW, are you using the stock cpu cooler. A 3900X/3950X is best cooled by an AIO water cooler. I had a similar experience in Augustus 2017. I RMAed the ram and purchased a new motherboard. There was no change. In the final analysis, the water cooler had failed and fried the CPU. Test another CPU ON on your system and see what transpires.Good luck.
Best Regards,
Fortiscrew.

troymorr
Level 7
I have the same issue with the white LED staying on that just started this morning with my system almost a year old. I guess the only difference is my screen is not black it actually completes the boot process and goes to Windows. However, I can't get the white light to clear and can't get into the BIOS as it does not show on the screen. Basically I get nothing during boot up until Windows pops up. Over the last 11 months the light has come on but was easily reset just by rebooting the PC. This time that has not worked. System was hand built and nothing added since the build last November.

System specs
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
X570-I
EVGA Geforce RTX 2070
Samsung SSD 860 and 970 EVO
16 gb G. Skill DDR4