cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH7 - QCODE 8 when starting a game

fullerms
Level 7
Hi all,

As mentioned above, the PC freezes with QCODE 8 whenever I start a game or any software which utilises the GPU (like DxO Photolab). Re-seated the RAM and checked all connections, and ran memtest overnight with no errors. What could be the problem?
12 REPLIES 12

fullerms
Level 7

Looked through the manual, and since the first LED is lit up it appears to be a DRAM issue. But, the latest version of memtest (v8.3) ran overnight without any issues. What else can I do to test the DRAM?

Q-code 8 is 'System Agent initialization after microcode loading' which suggests a problem with CPU/Motherboard. I would be looking at these components.

RedSector73 wrote:
Q-code 8 is 'System Agent initialization after microcode loading' which suggests a problem with CPU/Motherboard. I would be looking at these components.

Thanks for that. Where do I start? Any testing software I can use to isolate the problem?

BTW, MB BIOS updated to from version to 2801 latest Version 3004 yesterday; and system crashes when I start a game even with default settings.

fullerms
Level 7
I swapped out the RX580 GPU with a 2006 vintage GPU, and the PC does not crash when loading games. Of course I cannot play them, but the games load and I am able to browse the games in the Steam desktop app too. Something which was not possible with the RX580 since the trouble began.

BigJohnny
Level 13
First thing I would try is removing heatsink then remounting and tighten a little at a time. Often over tighten heat sinks cause too much compression on the CPU corners and the bow up. Depending on the chip it can result is the PCIE lanes messing up or memory losing channels.*

BigJohnny wrote:
First thing I would try is removing heatsink then remounting and tighten a little at a time. Often over tighten heat sinks cause too much compression on the CPU corners and the bow up. Depending on the chip it can result is the PCIE lanes messing up or memory losing channels.*

Thanks for the response, but I am not sure if over tightening the CPU Heatsink is the issue. This setup has been running for the last 4 months without any issues, until this weird problem cropped up three days ago.

Will try that as a last resort anyway.

BigJohnny wrote:

Tried this too, still no luck.

The screen goes blank and QCODE changes to 08 after a few seconds. Have to hit the reset button or pull the power to reboot the system.

This happened to me, altho in a bit of a different fashion.

I could start the game but after a while, it would hard crash the system and the Q-code 8 would show up, together with an infinite boot loop on that.

Turns out it was probably because of Virtual Super Resolution. Screen is native 1080p resolution but I had VSR turned on for 1440p resolutions. Turning it off and playing at 1080p for a few weeks already and no crashes.

fullerms
Level 7
*Update*

I moved the RX580 GPU from PCIE_1 to PCI_2, and I am able to game without any issues. Could t his be a problem with the PCIE slot on the MB?