cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[X570 PRIME PRO]Move GPU to 2nd slot

wim-bart
Level 7
What are the implications of moving the GPU from Slot 1 to slot 2? both are x16 PCIe 4.

I want to do this to move the card more far away from my CPU (3900x) and make the chipset free for airflow.
4 REPLIES 4

drop4205
Level 12
slot 2 is still x16 as long as nothing in slot 1
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

wim-bart
Level 7
wim-bart wrote:
What are the implications of moving the GPU from Slot 1 to slot 2? both are x16 PCIe 4.

I want to do this to move the card more far away from my CPU (3900x) and make the chipset free for airflow.

Nope, I did it and it is running at x8. And I was hoping it runs on x16. Because the temps are better of all my components, it is really great to have it there. But it runs at x8 and not x16. It might not be a problem because it is a PCIe 4.0 card but not what i hoped for. So ASUS has another product what is not good. For me it feels defective because with a 3900X = Zen 2 it should support at least 2 times a x16 configuration. It also says that on the product page of the board.

wim-bart wrote:
Nope, I did it and it is running at x8. And I was hoping it runs on x16. Because the temps are better of all my components, it is really great to have it there. But it runs at x8 and not x16. It might not be a problem because it is a PCIe 4.0 card but not what i hoped for. So ASUS has another product what is not good. For me it feels defective because with a 3900X = Zen 2 it should support at least 2 times a x16 configuration. It also says that on the product page of the board.

The manual is not really helpful in this. In the manual both slotrs are as x16 with x16 wired. The manual says:
Slot 1 = used, Slot 2 = no used: slot 1 = x16, slot 2 = n/a
Slot 1 = used, Slot 2 = used: slot 1 = x8, slot 2 = x8

But no config for Slot 1 = empty, slot 2 = used:

On the technical specifications, and my choice to buy this board states:

What is for me, when using a 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen (what i am using) there are the following slots:
2 x PCIe 4.0 x16, either in x16 modus or when used both in x8 modus
3 x PCIe 4.0 x1
1 x Pcie 4.0 x16 operating in x4.

So when no video card is used in Slot 1, the second Slot should be working in x16 modus. So it does not work in x16 modus, so it is defective, or the board is not defective, but the specifications on what I did buy the board do not meet the reality and are misleading.

raju2529
Level 7
wim-bart,.
I don't have this motherboard, without experience I can't give exact solution.
But some compatible or troubleshooting steps might be written in the motherboard usedmanual. So read it first.
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754