cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Fan Step Up/Down actually work for anybody?

bgrater7
Level 7
On my ASUS PRIME X570-PRO with BIOS 1407 (2020-04-02) setting Fan Step Up/Down for any fan does not do anything. Whatever I set it to the fan speed just immediately fluctuates with the temp source.

I've found various posts from people over the years with different ASUS mobo's wondering about this. So my question is simply can anyone confirm if this feature ever worked correctly for them, on any ASUS board?!?

(To clarify, if it is working correctly your fan speed should NOT look like this)
4 REPLIES 4

BuddyW
Level 7
bgrater7 wrote:
On my ASUS PRIME X570-PRO with BIOS 1407 (2020-04-02) setting Fan Step Up/Down for any fan does not do anything. Whatever I set it to the fan speed just immediately fluctuates with the temp source.

I've found various posts from people over the years with different ASUS mobo's wondering about this. So my question is simply can anyone confirm if this feature ever worked correctly for them, on any ASUS board?!?

It doesn't seem to work for my B550 TUF Gaming board either. I was hoping to find a trick that might make it work.

schm0
Level 10
There is a common misinterpretation about this setting.
Most people think, this setting will delay the ramp up for X seconds.
So for example, setting this to 12sec, the fans will not adjust for 12 seconds.
But this is not the case.

This setting, controls how much the fans will be adjusted over x seconds.
Meaning, setting this to 12 seconds will allow the fans to adjust by 8,33% per second.
204sec (which is not available for the CPU fans) allows the fans to adjust by 0,49% per second. (much smoother ramp up)
The formula to calculate this is: 100% / SecondsSettingFromBios = Fan % Adjustment per second.

The smoothest ramp up/down for the CPU fans is 4% per second. (100% / 25s (max setting for CPU fans) = 4% )
Yeah would be nice to have the higher seconds settings to be available for the CPU fans too.

knt
Level 7
If using Windows then try this free software on Jayz2Cents how to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDPKVKBMQU8

schm0
Level 10
The software is good, no doubt.
But having things running in background, polling, screws my boosts 😛

All this should be adjustable in the UEFI.
ASUS needs better fan controls.
Gigabyte also a hysteric setting available in the UEFI.
Having a hysteric setting + higher fan smoothing time for CPU fans would be nice to have on ASUS boards to.
And maybe an option to set more points on the curve.