Thread: G771J Questions

New ROGer Array

G771J Questions

I have been reading and hovering here for years... So now I have a question..

I have two ASUS G771 series laptops. One runs awesome, without any issues (this one that I am currently on). 16 gb of ram, 2 x 1TB HDD.. The other one, no drives, no ram, and the cooling fans are making grinding noises when it is running.. How do I get it a part to replace the cooling fans? I have seen a couple of youtube videos on it, but I am not a laptop guy.. I am an old school desktop tech (retired for about 15 yrs now). I dont play a lot of games on my laptops.. occasionally Fortnite

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Looks like a 2015 model. Here's a link to disassembly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQGGQgBJXb0

Rather straight forward, just remove battery, remove all the small covers on the back (hard drives, ram, and m.2 NVME SSD), then remove the back. The cooling fan is held on with three screws.

The cooling fan looks like this:

https://www.ebay.com/i/172618050283?...4aApwEEALw_wcB

It would appear you need to remove the cooling tubes first before the fan. This means a repaste of both the CPU and GPU upon reassembly.

My biggest concern would be the age of the plastic parts. With age these plastic bits become brittle and break. Might want to leave this to a professional.

You will need parts to assemble the laptop. Here's a good place to start to identify what the laptop is compatible with:

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-u...or/asus/g771jm

This is alot of work and the costs will be steep, are you sure you wouldn't be better served with a new laptop?

Good Luck
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array raju2529 PC Specs
    raju2529 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)R542UQ-DM153 ( X542UQ.309 )
    MotherboardAsus Builtin Motherboard X542UQ
    ProcessorIntel core i5 7200u @2.5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Adata 2400 Mhz 16GB
    Graphics Card #1intel Hd 620 graphics 1GB DDR3 DCH WHQL driver v27.20.100.8425
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GeForce 940MX 2GB GDDR5 DCH WHQL driver v27.21.14.5167
    Graphics Card #3nil
    Graphics Card #4nil
    Sound CardRealtek HD Audio controller with codec 294 WHQL driver v6.0.8975.1
    MonitorBuiltin Lcd monitor model BOE
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD M.2. 2280
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB 2.5inch. Toshiba 1TB 2.5 inch
    CPU CoolerBuilt-in
    CaseFrom factory
    Power Supply65W
    Keyboard Built in keyboard
    Mouse Built in mouse
    Headset Purchased Philips HeadSet
    Mouse Pad nil
    Headset/Speakers Realtek Builtin Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit v2004 build no 19041.331
    Network RouterBsnl Wi-Fi modem with router
    Accessory #1 Dell Wired Mouse
    Accessory #2 Laptop Cooling table with fan
    Accessory #3 Secureye Usb finger print scanner added seperately for Windows Hello

[QUOTE=Pantharen
    Its better go to nearest asus authourised service center, get replaced fan from them

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

It's a 5-year old laptop, out of warranty, official ASUS parts would be expensive. Besides he didn't include the laptop's entire label (G771J?).

The model doesn't show up in the European market. But does show up in the Western Hemisphere, here's a link:

https://www.asus-accessories.com/

If he was smart, he would use this site to identify part numbers needed then use the Internet to source the lowest price and availability.

With all the parts he requires (battery, SATA HD or SSD, M2 NVME SSD, memory) i suggested he consider the value of a 5-year old laptop versus a new laptop.
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server