Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Help installing Windows 10 on ROG Strix GL10CS

I am putting a new HD into my pc and need help installing Windows 10. I have created the USB bootable with Fat32 correctly and disabled security but there is no options on my bios to disable CSM Support. So my pc never boots to the USB for installation. Someone please help me with info on how to install Windows 10.

Super Moderator Array

Welcome to the forums!

The 'Launch CSM' setting would be used for Windows 7, so you don't need to worry about it for Windows 10 and it's not the reason your bootable USB drive isn't working.

You can either tap 'F8' after you power on to see the boot menu and select your bootable USB drive or enter the bios to change the boot order if you haven't already.
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 03-31-2020 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

The 'Launch CSM' setting would be used for Windows 7, so you don't need to worry about it for Windows 10 and it's not the reason your bootable USB drive isn't working.

You can either tap 'F8' after you power on to see the boot menu and select your bootable USB drive or enter the bios to change the boot order if you haven't already.

Done that. I even installed Windows 10 from the same usb device on a different Asus PC without any problem. I held esc and chose the boot device - held F2 went into bios and launched from boot menu and yes I have made the USB the first boot device. It just keeps ignoring it.

New ROGer Array Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Jesseinsf PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme (Z390)
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMW128GX4M4E3200C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster AE-9
    MonitorSamsung 32" UH750 QLED UHD Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MLX-D36M-A20PC-R1 w/ Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM x3 Fans
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200 Platinum
    Keyboard RAZER HUNTSMAN ELITE - LINEAR OPTICAL SWITCH (Red) w/ PBT Keycaps
    Mouse Razer Lancehead
    Headset Bowers and Wilkins P9 Signature
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula V2 Mousepad
    Headset/Speakers Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    OS Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AC5300
    Accessory #1 Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
    Accessory #2 Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM

Don't disable Secure Boot

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Creation View Post
    I am putting a new HD into my pc and need help installing Windows 10. I have created the USB bootable with Fat32 correctly and disabled security but there is no options on my bios to disable CSM Support. So my pc never boots to the USB for installation. Someone please help me with info on how to install Windows 10.
    Don't disable secure Boot unless the Wim file is over 4GB. If you had the Windows 10 Media creator make your USB install media then no need to disable secure boot. If you downloaded windows 10 from elsewhere then use Rufus. Rufus will let you know if secure boot needs to be temporarily turned off. Whatever you do, do not turn on CSM unless you have ancient boot devices or you are booting in to a DOS environment. If you want to dual boot then you can tell secure boot to other OSes instead of just Windows.

CSM settings are usually in the Boot menu.

Super Moderator Array

Done that. I even installed Windows 10 from the same usb device on a different Asus PC without any problem. I held esc and chose the boot device - held F2 went into bios and launched from boot menu and yes I have made the USB the first boot device. It just keeps ignoring it.
    Notebooks use 'ESC' for the boot menu, but desktops use 'F8', so if you want to see the boot menu, use 'F8', but you can just set the boot priority in the bios too.

If the boot menu and bios recognize your USB drive, it could be that no hard drives are detected by the system, or Windows doesn't recognize the partitions (you didn't have Linux on there before did you? You may need to delete all the partitions or reformat the hard drive to NTFS and try it again).

You can check your hard drive in the bios under the 'advanced' menu to make sure it's detected, otherwise, re-check the cables and the drive, or maybe stick back your original hard drive to confirm the USB drive boots in this situation at least (you can just quit the installation at this point of course and try to figure out what is going on with your other hard drive).
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 04-01-2020 at 05:40 PM.

Let me start form the begining.

OK let me start from the beginning.
    My PC hit the blue screen of death out of no where.
    I wasn't doing any editing on my videos software or anything major.
    I was just watching netflix.
    I am not sure if a windows update had just happened and caused it to crash or not.
    But it just kept looping blue screen.
    These are the Stop codes that I received.
    And I have googled all of them and since most of them need you to get into windows to run scan disk checks and memory diagnostics, I can't fix them. Becuase I can't get into windows or even in safemode of windows.
    Stop code:
    KERNEL MODE HEAP CORRUPTION
    SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
    SYSTEM PTE MISUSE
    KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
    DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
    PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGE AREA
    PFN LIST CORRUPT
    MEMORY MANAGEMENT
    Wdf01000.sys
    usx01000.sys

So I removed my Hard Disk all together and put a new one in and tried to install a fresh copy of windows 10
    I use Rufus 3.9
    Partition scheme GPT
    Target system UEFI (non CSM)
    File system Large FAT32
    I used the same USB disk to install a fresh copy of Windows on my ASUS laptop with no problem.
    So I know it works.

Like I said I have the ROG STRIX GL10CS. It is a tower and not a laptop.
    I have removed the RTX video card to get to the bios battery to remove it and uplug the pc to hold the power button for 30 seconds. I have removed all peripherals and tried to boot up that way. I have tried with secure boot disabled. Fast boot disabled. I have tried every geek trick in the book that I know and could find on google. And now I have been without my pc for a week. Not to happy I had to wait 24 hours just to use this forum, but I am hoping someone has some info that may help. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200402_041551.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	84445

Name:	IMG_20200402_041656.jpg 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	84446

Name:	IMG_20200402_041701.jpg 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	84447

Name:	IMG_20200402_041710.jpg 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	84448

Name:	IMG_20200402_041728.jpg 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	84449

Name:	IMG_20200402_041752.jpg 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	84450

Name:	IMG_20200402_041826.jpg 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	84451

Super Moderator Array

Thanks for the details.

May need to study and think about your post more, but don't have a lot of great ideas, so hopefully we can get more suggestions from others.
    Feel free to ignore me if you're not interested in discussing more with me, or also feel free to let me know if you want to talk about anything more.

Anyway, noticed your last screenshot listed the "FNK TECHUSB Card Reader" and if this is a USB card reader and your boot device wondering if you have a 'normal' USB drive to use instead even if it works on another notebook just to check this.

Also, if you didn't already know, you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool from Microsoft's website and create a bootable USB drive with a different computer if available.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

These things may not make any difference, but a couple things that are different from the procedure that works for me if you want to look into that or wait for more feedback.

Also, your last 3 screenshots show a Windows Boot Manager which should not show up if your hard drive is blank as far as I know, so assume you took them when your original bluescreening hard drive was connected rather than your new hard drive?
    Last edited by cl-Albert; 04-02-2020 at 12:17 AM.

Super Moderator Array

By the way, if you want to work on your bluescreening hard drive more, you can create a bootable USB recover/repair drive if you have another computer running the same Windows version which will hopefully help you get into safe mode.
    Below are a couple websites about it and you may want to look for more if necessary although wondering if you will still have that problem to boot to USB or not.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3140449/everything-you-need-to-know-about-windows-10-recovery-drives.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

New ROGer Array Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Jesseinsf PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme (Z390)
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMW128GX4M4E3200C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster AE-9
    MonitorSamsung 32" UH750 QLED UHD Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MLX-D36M-A20PC-R1 w/ Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM x3 Fans
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200 Platinum
    Keyboard RAZER HUNTSMAN ELITE - LINEAR OPTICAL SWITCH (Red) w/ PBT Keycaps
    Mouse Razer Lancehead
    Headset Bowers and Wilkins P9 Signature
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula V2 Mousepad
    Headset/Speakers Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    OS Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AC5300
    Accessory #1 Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
    Accessory #2 Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM

1. order a USB thumb driver that is 8GB or more.
    2. Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 Install media
    3. Reset your BIOS to Factory Defaults
    4. Do not Overclock yet
    5. Make sure AHCI is enable
    6. Make sure Secure Boot is Enabled
    7. Insert USB Thumb Drive
    8. save changes and restart
    9. During restart and before the Asus boot screen Repeatedly press F8 button until you see a boot option screen
    10. Choose the USB device with the Windows 10 Bootable install media
    11. Watch this video to continue installing. You want to pay special attention on deleting all partitions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtHZueEZe9s

Done this. Thanks for the step by step. But it still isn't the fix I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseinsf View Post
    1. order a USB thumb driver that is 8GB or more.
    2. Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 Install media
    3. Reset your BIOS to Factory Defaults
    4. Do not Overclock yet
    5. Make sure AHCI is enable
    6. Make sure Secure Boot is Enabled
    7. Insert USB Thumb Drive
    8. save changes and restart
    9. During restart and before the Asus boot screen Repeatedly press F8 button until you see a boot option screen
    10. Choose the USB device with the Windows 10 Bootable install media
    11. Watch this video to continue installing. You want to pay special attention on deleting all partitions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtHZueEZe9s
    I have done this. But thank you for the step by step. The only process I didn't try was the AHCI settings. But just tried it and it still just spins and goes directly to the image that I put of the BSOD

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast