cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH VIII Hero speaker output device, which to use?

flyinion
Level 12
I've been using the "Speakers Realtek Audio" analog output device in the Windows Sound properties Playback tab. I recently noticed (due to other audio devices in the list like headphones and monitors) that there is a second mobo device called "Speakers Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer". I'm wondering which one I should actually be using and what if any differences there are? The Sonic Studio control panel seems to function just fine when using the Realtek Audio device.
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12
As I understand it, sonic would be used with stereo system (typically headsets) to get virtualised surround sound.

RedSector73 wrote:
As I understand it, sonic would be used with stereo system (typically headsets) to get virtualised surround sound.

Thanks. I actually ended up trying it last night. I'm not sure what that output is actually supposed to do because I got zero sound from it. I'm starting to suspect it's related to the front panel audio possibly.

flyinion wrote:
Thanks. I actually ended up trying it last night. I'm not sure what that output is actually supposed to do because I got zero sound from it. I'm starting to suspect it's related to the front panel audio possibly.

It might be to do with Windows 10 1903 updates which purged/ravaged audio control(s). There is patch on asus website to fix functionality. DRV_Audio_SSIII_VAC_PATCH_W10_64_VER10_20191001R from https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero-WI-FI/HelpDesk_Download/

RedSector73 wrote:
It might be to do with Windows 10 1903 updates which purged/ravaged audio control(s). There is patch on asus website to fix functionality. DRV_Audio_SSIII_VAC_PATCH_W10_64_VER10_20191001R from https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero-WI-FI/HelpDesk_Download/

Thanks, I ended up trying that out last night because somehow I broke something between trying out that extra Sonic Studio device in the Sound panel and plugging my non-USB headphones into the front panel audio (haven't done that on this board/case combo) and unplugging /replugging the main 2.0 speakers on the rear. I was getting blasting sound and the Sonic Studio app started complaining the device wasn't supported even after reboots. Running that tool fixed that issue and the sound blasting out, but I do still have that virtual mixer device. I'm just ignoring it I guess.