cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D: Hard Drive Not Being Recognized

Derpajerb
Level 7
Hey all you cool Cats and Kittens.

I've been troubleshooting this for a Month. I'm going to provide lots of pics because my technical jargon is not the greatest and i haven't had to TS like this since 2001

My D drive storage was disappearing from my pc intermittently for 2 months before this, I'd reboot and it would be back.

One day got my pc just said it had encountered an error and had to restart, that was the last time i was able to see my 😧 drive

Specs:
Win8.1
ASUS Desktop PC CG8480 Series
Intel Core I7-3770k CPU @ 3.50hz
Ram 16gb
64-bit

The Harddrive is a 3tb seagate

troubleshooting steps i've completed :
Swapped Sata Cables
Swapped Power cables
swapped hotplug positions
Drive does not show in disk management
Drive does not show in Device Management
Drive DOES work and can accessed if connect via USB with USB Adapter
i've unplugged all hard drives except the D:drive and it does not show in BIOS
uninstalled disk drivers in device management.

Below are some pictures of my bios settings and other settings. maybe there is something i'm missing.

As you can see from this Pic the other drive is an SD card drive. not my D

I hope i've painted a picture on whats going on here.
sorry for the noob post. thanks for any help and your patience

-Jerb
9 REPLIES 9

Derpajerb
Level 7
bump

raju2529
Level 7
In your screenshot I confirmed you have only two harddisks.
One ssd and one hdd.

You dont have to other harddisks.

Only GPT formatted based hard-disks are available in bios
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529 wrote:
In your screenshot I confirmed you have only two harddisks.
One ssd and one hdd.

You dont have to other harddisks.

Only GPT formatted based hard-disks are available in bios

Yes 2 hard disk, my operating system is on a 100gb ssd. my second HDD is 3 Tb.

BUT in the 6th screenshot the second hard-disk showing my BIOS is not my hdd, that is a removable sd-card slot. i don't know why it is showing up there instead of my hhd

raju2529
Level 7
disable Raid option , select ACHI mode , is your SSD contains EFI partition , Is 3TB harddisk is formmated as NTFS in GPT style ? ( dont format now )
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529 wrote:
disable Raid option , select ACHI mode , is your SSD contains EFI partition , Is 3TB harddisk is formmated as NTFS in GPT style ? ( dont format now )

When selecting ACHI mode, my OS will not start. I will get a blue screen saying there has been a problem and Windows must restart.

Yes SSD contains EFI partition.

I assume my 3tb is formatted as NTFS as I have not formatted or changed the format since my original startup.

Derpajerb wrote:
When selecting ACHI mode, my OS will not start. I will get a blue screen saying there has been a problem and Windows must restart.

Yes SSD contains EFI partition.

I assume my 3tb is formatted as NTFS as I have not formatted or changed the format since my original startup.

i've now fixed the problem of not being able to load windows after switching to ACHI but the HDD problem presist

bump

bump

Your HHD may be dying, dropped or thrown during shipment to place of purchase. I have done all the troubleshooting steps that you have done, but with a WD Green HDD. When I looked at the date on the HHD, it was 24 Oct 2013 (when purchased). Therefore, I went to the WD warranty web site and input the HDD serial number:

Note the description says it is a WD Blue HDD, but the label on the HDD is:

Anyway, I brought a new HHD and transferred all the data to it, no problems since HDD replacement. Nevertheless, the old HDD (24 Oct 2013) still does the same thing as your HHD is doing now.