cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G703GI-WS91K Monitor Issue - This will be my last Asus product.

bignadad
Level 7
Hey Guys,

I have a G703GI-WS91K with 17.3" 4K UHD (3840x2160) and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X

This morning my monitor has started flickering vertical lines. It sometimes goes away completely and the screen is normal, other times its looks like the attached image.

- I have tried rebooting, using without anything plugged into it (even power adapters). Sometimes moving or very slightly bending will bring it back, other times it has no effect.
- I have gsync disabled (it was never enabled)
- I tried different resolutions, 4k and 1080
- I am unable to change the refresh rate. 60Hz is the only option

I did recently install a 3rd Samsung M.2 SSD drive. I did that on Monday and today is Friday and just noticed it today. I have not dropped it or anything.

Any ideas what is going on? I purchased it on Dec 8 2018.

If it is a bad monitor (which i pray its not) do they even make replacements?

Here is a video of the issue
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gNur7ihYdbbEtAPq9

8 REPLIES 8

Nighteve
Level 7
bignadad wrote:
hey guys,

i have a g703gi-ws91k with 17.3" 4k uhd (3840x2160) and nvidia geforce gtx 1080 8gb gddr5x

this morning my monitor has started flickering vertical lines. It sometimes goes away completely and the screen is normal, other times its looks like the attached image.

- i have tried rebooting, using without anything plugged into it (even power adapters). Sometimes moving or very slightly bending will bring it back, other times it has no effect.
- i have gsync disabled (it was never enabled)
- i tried different resolutions, 4k and 1080
- i am unable to change the refresh rate. 60hz is the only option

i did recently install a 3rd samsung m.2 ssd drive. I did that on monday and today is friday and just noticed it today. I have not dropped it or anything.

Any ideas what is going on? I purchased it on dec 8 2018.

If it is a bad monitor (which i pray its not) do they even make replacements?

Here is a video of the issue
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gnur7ihydbbetapq9

rip gpu . Try to connect an external monitor, try to switch the GPU to another mod

Nighteve wrote:
rip gpu . Try to connect an external monitor, try to switch the GPU to another mod

I have 3 other monitors connected via my docking station and all of them work fine.

try to switch the GPU to another mod
What do you mean?

jdfrench3
Level 12
My guess is a loose display cable. With laptop on table with it's back off, the cable is near the left fan cable, it's the larger connector. Reconnect, reassemble, and test.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

bignadad
Level 7
So i took it apart and the cable from the monitor to the motherboard was loose. So I was thinking this is great.
I did not want to take the cooling apart so I just pushed the cable back on with one of my tools. Put the laptop back together and same issue.
Took it back apart and this time i removed the cooling enough to get on top of the cable. It really seems like a bad design because I can press the connector back on the motherboard tight but when i move that wire a bit that comes out the the monitor it seems to not be on that tight. There is also a gap between that connector and the cooling so there isn't anything to help it.
Anyways, i got it secured like it should be and I am still having the issue. I left the back top cover off (behind) the monitor so I could move the wire a bit just to see if the monitor reacts to it. That would tell me if it was still a bad connection which i dont see how since i just put it back on tight. I move the cable slightly and the monitor doesnt react. Right now its very dim and flashing. Here is a video
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uJwARDqur8ZrgK169

There is also a picture and it shows a "band" down the right side of the monitor vertically.

I thank you for all the responses so far. Please let me know what you think.

Parts are hard to find for the ASUS G703GI. I did get a picture of the whole cable.

https://en.accessoires-asus.com/edp-cable-40-pins-for-rog-griffin-64539-66681.htm#g703gi|l

You could replace the cable, that might fix it but you will probably find the display is bad as well. I think it best to take to local repair shop for solution. Your choice.

A few posts before yours was "Help - G752VY-T7049T Replacement Screen Question" and responded by Blake@ASUS. I think you should PM him a message about your problem.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Parts are hard to find for the ASUS G703GI. I did get a picture of the whole cable.

https://en.accessoires-asus.com/edp-cable-40-pins-for-rog-griffin-64539-66681.htm#g703gi|l

You could replace the cable, that might fix it but you will probably find the display is bad as well. I think it best to take to local repair shop for solution. Your choice.

A few posts before yours was "Help - G752VY-T7049T Replacement Screen Question" and responded by Blake@ASUS. I think you should PM him a message about your problem.

Good Luck

So i did purchase the cable to rule out it being the issue. I found a video that is very detailed on taking the laptop apart and have already made it to this point.

My problem is the monitor. Do you know of any resources to help guide me through taking the display apart?

So,

I can't express how disappointed I am with this laptop. This is my 3rd consecutive ROG series laptop. I havd a G751JY-DH71, G752VY-DH72 and now this G703GI-WS91K. I have NEVER had an issue like this over the past 6+ years.
The sad thing is, I went over the top with this one and spent more than I ever had to get the best one. $3,800.00! Then just over a year later my display goes out.

Here is what has happened since my last comment.

I did purchase the cable to connect the display from the motherboard and installed it with not issues. But, that did not fix the problem.

I then actually found a replacement display that matched the part number of mine on amazon for $158. I was very excited because I had not been able to find one anywhere else. The only way i was even able to find this one was by searching the part number on the back of the display itself.
I got the display and installed it with no issues. I then booted it up and it came up but noticed it was still very dark but working. Once Windows came up I adjusted the brightness and noticed it didn't seem to respond normally at first but then the monitor work working and actually brighter than it had ever been before.

I was very happy to say the least. I purchased this laptop for mobility. Without a display its useless to me because I have to have it connected to a monitor and that looses all its appeal for how I used it.

That happiness did not last long unfortunately.

After testing it that initial time I shut it down and brought it back up later that day. It would not turn one. There was nothing else connected to the laptop except power cables. With or without the power cables the display would not work. I tried again this morning and I can barely see the desktop on it. Not even enough to find my mouse. With another monitor connected, I can try to adjust the resolution, refresh rate, colors, brightness and nothing has an effect on it. My NVIDIA drivers are up to date. I am just..... I don't understand.
What else could it be? I am able to use my HDMI, mini DP and Thunderbolt ports for external monitors with not issues. Could it really be the video card?

If Asus is unwilling to help me in this situation, this will be the last Asus product I ever buy for my personal use or for my company. This is unacceptable. To spend this much money and for it to end up the way it has. My other 2 ROG's never game me any trouble. This was a brand I could depend on and trust.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello bignadad,
Please send your device to official service center for a complete examination.
We need more detail understanding of the changes you made to help you.
Thank you.