cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[G20CB] 1070 GTX Graphics keeps on loosing performance

Strickmabil
Level 7
Hello guys,

I've a ROG G20CB with a 1070 GTX for almost 4 years now and I've been noticing some issues with its performance on games. I started to notice some crashes 1,5 years ago and the solution I found was to reduce its Power Target value to 80%, that solved the problem for some time but soon I started getting crashes and I again reduced the Power Target value to 60% which is where I am now. This of course implies that I can't have the original gfx performance. Anyone experienced this issue?

I'm not sure if the problem might be related with the external power supply or with the gfx card itself.

Best regards and thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
hello, this seems to me as a power brick issue, have you tried to unplug the second power brick and see if the system still runs? if it does then maybe buy another 180w power brick, I have heard oh many people say that the power bricks die or fail after time. is the power limit from MSI afterburner? are you getting high temps? cheers Welsh Whoopee

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
hello, this seems to me as a power brick issue, have you tried to unplug the second power brick and see if the system still runs? if it does then maybe buy another 180w power brick, I have heard oh many people say that the power bricks die or fail after time. is the power limit from MSI afterburner? are you getting high temps? cheers Welsh Whoopee

Thanks for your reply!

I've ordered a new 230W... because I thought that is the one the Graphics Card runs on. I'll try to do what you suggested.

I don't get any high temps... 64 Celsius degrees max and the Power limit was either set on GPU TweakII or MSI Afterburner, results were the same. I've ran some benchs with GPU-Z logs activated and I noticed it happens (the crashes) when the GPU voltage reaches 1.05V.

BTW the crashes I have are only related with the application that is running the 3D processing... 3DMark, WoW, FIFA, whatever... only the application crashes and exits.

Processor benchmarks seem to be quite normal.

Thanks again for your reply mate.

+ So I did what you advised but I got a bit confused, I did unplug the second power brick (230W, am I right?) and the system ran... If the system is running on the 180W power supply why sould I replace it?

Strickmabil wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

I've ordered a new 230W... because I thought that is the one the Graphics Card runs on. I'll try to do what you suggested.

I don't get any high temps... 64 Celsius degrees max and the Power limit was either set on GPU TweakII or MSI Afterburner, results were the same. I've ran some benchs with GPU-Z logs activated and I noticed it happens (the crashes) when the GPU voltage reaches 1.05V.

BTW the crashes I have are only related with the application that is running the 3D processing... 3DMark, WoW, FIFA, whatever... only the application crashes and exits.

Processor benchmarks seem to be quite normal.

Thanks again for your reply mate.

+ So I did what you advised but I got a bit confused, I did unplug the second power brick (230W, am I right?) and the system ran... If the system is running on the 180W power supply why sould I replace it?

hello, cool. totally up to you mate, if it runs good then carry on with the one power brick. just keep a eye on temps and any issues then you know is the power brick, the only think would be as a backup just incase dude.

let me know how it runs

thanks Whoopee

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Strickmabil,
May I have your GPU driver version?
Also, is there specific APP or scenario that the crashes happen?
Thank you.

Blake@ASUS wrote:
Hello Strickmabil,
May I have your GPU driver version?
Also, is there specific APP or scenario that the crashes happen?
Thank you.

Driver version is irrelevant, I've been upgrading drivers since I've noticed this problem and non has solved it. The one I'm currently using is version 441.66
It crashes while playing any game (Fifa, World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm) or rendering any 3D application (3DMark).

Strickmabil
Level 7
Gfx card problem. Bought a RTX 2070 Super Evo from Asus and problem got solved.