cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

test

deanot
Level 7
I just built a machine for my wife, her last one with another Asus MB had a startup issue... so this is quite amusing seeing as this one has a shutdown issue.

The MB is sporting a Gen 3 Ryzen 3700 8 core 3.6Ghz, 32Gb of Corsair Dominator compatible memory. On shutdown the screens go black as you would expect, then the CPU fan continues to run, the lights stay on, the power light stays on, the HD light pulses once in a while and the graphics card, an older AMD Radeon RX 580 will go lights out, lights on, lights out and stay off. Sometimes the machine will shutdown right after that, other times and most of the time it will just stay on and continue to do nothing.

I have tried everything I can think of, I have many years of PC building behind me and have never seen anything as weird as this.

I did contact Asus support and told them what it was doing, all they sent me was a canned reply of try this and try that, but I already tried everything they suggested.

So, I am in hopes one of you guys may have seen this issue... The only things that came from the previous machine is a WD SSD, WD HD, Corsair RM 850 PSU and the case of which is a wall mounted open air type of case which has no fans, the case is completely open apart from the back and a plexiglass side. So I don't beleive airflow is an issue. CPU when shutting down was at 38°c with the mainboard at 40°c.
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
What memory part no exactly?

Maybe disable fast startup in Windows?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
What memory part no exactly?

Maybe disable fast startup in Windows?

CMD32GX4M2B3000C15 Dominator Platinum. I tried it with other memory also, I got the same issue..

I will try anything, but I am not sure what disabling fast startup will do for a machine not shutting down, am I missing something?

I am going to try and change out the GPU with a GeForce 1080 GTX and see what results I get from that. I should try the PSU also, but again I can't see it being the problem but I will try anyway.

Sorry about the title, I kept getting errors from the forum "Access Denied" messages when posting with a full title.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Fast startup is a version of hibernate...i.e. not switching off so much as storing stuff for fast wake from sleep....can cause issues

Is that a clean windows install on the new machine?

No, it is from the previous machine.. I can't reload the machine as of yet, the wife is working from home and needs the machine for work right now. Once she is back in the office I will get it reloaded, then it can resume as her gaming machine.

I will get this disabled and see if that helps, for some reason I was thinking of the fast boot in the bios is what you meant.. lol.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Fast startup is a version of hibernate...i.e. not switching off so much as storing stuff for fast wake from sleep....can cause issues

Is that a clean windows install on the new machine?

Wow, I learn something new everyday.... That fixed it, two reboots in a row and it shutdown every time!

Many thanks for this, I was unaware of that feature within windows 10, but saying that I don't even know if it was a feature of other windows flavors either.

So, it could have been a bad faststart cache or something, probably related to a driver or hardware on the last mobo, I wonder if re-enabling it will fix the issue, but I don't even know if I need to re-enable it, the machine is still booting pretty quick..

Again, thank you for your time and help with this. It is much appreciated.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Good stuff...yeah they are eminently confusable 😮