cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING Ram instability

MintyFresh
Level 7
I had to RMA my motherboard and on the new one when I set my ram to d.o.c.p. my pc reboots like 3 times very quickly then fails to post. To get D.O.C.P or manual timings to work, I have to set ram to auto and then d.o.c.p and keep trying until the 3 or 4th try, it will finally post. When it finally boots on d.o.c.p or manual timings it runs fine even under load or playing games. But if I turn psu off or unplug it from the wall It will fail to post again and I would have to repeat the process again till it post. I tried setting 1.1v SOC but also failed, I had 1.1v SOC on old motherboard and same timings with no issue. I didn’t have this issue on my previous motherboard, although it was running an older bios version 4207. I did not do a memtest86 on the new motherboard but on my old one it passed memtest with the same settings. My ram is in the qvl list for this motherboard. I am on the latest bios. Is this a bios issue? How risky is it to do a bios flashback? There was no hardware was changed except for the motherboard and all the settings were default and no cpu oc. Also tried ryzen dram calculator but same results. This is a hynix kit and i read that some people switch to a b die kit and they were a lot more stable, is it worth switching?

CPU: Ryzen 2600x
Ram: 16gb G.Skill Trident Z 3600mhz F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX
Storage: intel 660p 500gb
Gpu: EVGA 1070ti
PSU: Corsair rmx850
Bios version 5406
12 REPLIES 12

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
MintyFresh wrote:
I had to RMA my motherboard and on the new one when I set my ram to d.o.c.p. my pc reboots like 3 times very quickly then fails to post. To get D.O.C.P to work manual timings, I have to set ram multiple times to auto and then d.o.c.p until like the 4th or 5th try it boots. When it finally boots on d.o.c.p or manual timings it runs fine even under load or playing games. But if I turn psu off or unplug it from the wall It will fail to post again and I would have to repeat the process again till it post. I tried setting 1.1v SOC but also failed, I had 1.1v SOC on old motherboard and had no issue. I didn’t have this issue on my previous motherboard, although it was running an older bios version 4207. I did not do a memtest86 on the new motherboard but on my old one it passed memtest with the same settings. My ram is in the qvl list for this motherboard. I am on the latest bios. Is this a bios issue? How risky is it to do a bios flashback? There was no hardware was changed except for the motherboard and all the settings were default and no cpu oc. Also tried ryzen dram calculator but same results. This is a hynix kit and i read that some people switch to a b die kit and they were a lot more stable, is it worth switching?

CPU: Ryzen 2600x
Ram: 16gb G.Skill Trident Z 3600mhz 18-22-22-42
Storage: intel 660p 500gb
Gpu: EVGA 1070ti
PSU: Corsair rmx850
Bios version 5406

Do you have the part number for the kit? There's no harm using flashback, could well be some changes between builds to memory ruling. Older AFR or Hynix based kits are quite old and don't fair well with newer board optimised timings. You may want to look at relaxing some of them.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

OP make sure your using (from cpu) ram slots 2 & 4. Unless you have specific reason, latest bios is always best bios to use.

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Do you have the part number for the kit? There's no harm using flashback, could well be some changes between builds to memory ruling. Older AFR or Hynix based kits are quite old and don't fair well with newer board optimised timings. You may want to look at relaxing some of them.

The part number fo the kit is F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX

RedSector73 wrote:
OP make sure your using (from cpu) ram slots 2 & 4. Unless you have specific reason, latest bios is always best bios to use.

Yes they are in the 2&4 slot. I would like to stick with the latest bios but this issue is frustrating. I tried increasing memory voltage from 1.35 to 1.4 does nothing. If I manage to boot with d.o.c.p or manual timings and then go back to bios to change a setting like fan speed then save and exit the pc boots on and off very quickly until the 3rd time then boots and tells me something went wrong and it posted in safe mode and I have to go back to bios and set ram to auto and try messing with it again.

I ran memtest86 twice, both times with 4 passes. On both times when It finished it just automatically exited out to the main menu without showing me the summary. I think something was wrong since it didn’t show summary so I will format the usb and redo the test. It was showing 0 error on both test though.
Update: test finished with 0 error and this time it showed test complete and the summary.

MintyFresh wrote:
I ran memtest86 twice, both times with 4 passes. On both times when It finished it just automatically exited out to the main menu without showing me the summary. I think something was wrong since it didn’t show summary so I will format the usb and redo the test. It was showing 0 error on both test though.
Update: test finished with 0 error and this time it showed test complete and the summary.

I have a somewhat similar issue with motherboard and ram. The ram I use are on the QVL list and they work with 1.0.0.3 abba. But once I install 1.0.0.4 B, it refuses to even boot when it is on DOCP, as soon as I try to clock it in any way shape or form, it will not boot at all. I have not found a fix for this at all, I doubt ASUS will fix it, it's been months now.

I have tried 3 different RAM now, all failed to boot. 1 was with samsung die, the other was a corsair 3200 16 and the one I have now is 3600 16. None of them wanted to boot at all, they were all on the QVL list.

I had to revert back to 1.0.0.3 ABBA for it to accept it. Some say that the voltage is too low or too late when it boots up the ram, a bug in the update.

Zoart wrote:
I have a somewhat similar issue with motherboard and ram. The ram I use are on the QVL list and they work with 1.0.0.3 abba. But once I install 1.0.0.4 B, it refuses to even boot when it is on DOCP, as soon as I try to clock it in any way shape or form, it will not boot at all. I have not found a fix for this at all, I doubt ASUS will fix it, it's been months now.

I have tried 3 different RAM now, all failed to boot. 1 was with samsung die, the other was a corsair 3200 16 and the one I have now is 3600 16. None of them wanted to boot at all, they were all on the QVL list.

I had to revert back to 1.0.0.3 ABBA for it to accept it. Some say that the voltage is too low or too late when it boots up the ram, a bug in the update.

Did you just follow Raffiekol tutorial to roll back your bios? Any idea which bios is the best for 2600x?

MintyFresh wrote:
Did you just follow Raffiekol tutorial to roll back your bios? Any idea which bios is the best for 2600x?

Unfortunately I don't know which bios is best for 2600x, I have a 3700x.

I just flashed the older bios through the bios like you would update. Not sure if this is the correct method, but, it allows it.

Zoart wrote:
Unfortunately I don't know which bios is best for 2600x, I have a 3700x.

I just flashed the older bios through the bios like you would update. Not sure if this is the correct method, but, it allows it.
I thought the bios doesn’t allow you to roll back. Can you walk me through the steps? Im assuming you download the bios to the usb and then selected update from usb?

MintyFresh wrote:
I thought the bios doesn’t allow you to roll back. Can you walk me through the steps? Im assuming you download the bios to the usb and then selected update from usb?

I think it's on the x570 that you can't roll back with 1.0.0.4 b.

It allowed me to roll back without a problem. Bios didn't argue nor did it say anything. As I said, I don't know if this is really the correct method, so I guess the risk is your own?

But what I did was download the older bios, put it on usb and then use ez flash in bios.

Though I don't know to how far back you can go with the bios if you do it like this.

And I see that some manufacturers are releasing agesa 1.0.0.5 already. Sooooo I guess after a good month we will have it?