cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] Can't access UEFI BIOS on my new monitor (Maximus XI Hero)

John93
Level 7
Hello!

So I'm posting this here because there is no forum for my LG monitor. Ever since i started using this monitor back in december, I haven't been able to access BIOS at all. I've tried different DP cables, different ports on the GPU, HDMI cable but no matter what I tried, the screen would always stay blank until the Windows welcome screen comes up. It does wake up when I hit the power switch of my PC but with no signal until the windows welcome screen.

Now my question is, is there a way to access BIOS on this screen without resetting CMOS? I don't want to reset cmos because I might have unsaved settings in the bios that i dont remember (and I don't even know if resetting cmos would show POST on this montor tbh). I have tried accessing UEFI through windows recovery but that did nothing. My monitor is the LG 38GL950G Ultrawide and my GPU is Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti .

Edit: Solved by updating DP firmware on the GPU which I didn't know was a thing.
2 REPLIES 2

Falkentyne
Level 12
John93 wrote:
Hello!

So I'm posting this here because there is no forum for my LG monitor. Ever since i started using this monitor back in december, I haven't been able to access BIOS at all. I've tried different DP cables, different ports on the GPU, HDMI cable but no matter what I tried, the screen would always stay blank until the Windows welcome screen comes up. It does wake up when I hit the power switch of my PC but with no signal until the windows welcome screen.

Now my question is, is there a way to access BIOS on this screen without resetting CMOS? I don't want to reset cmos because I might have unsaved settings in the bios that i dont remember (and I don't even know if resetting cmos would show POST on this montor tbh). I have tried accessing UEFI through windows recovery but that did nothing. My monitor is the LG 38GL950G Ultrawide and my GPU is Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti .

Did you search for this monitor online to see if others have a similar problem? You can't be the only person online who has had this happen.
The last time I saw something like this was many, many years ago on an AMD video card because the AMD card didn't support the specific low resolution graphics mode the BIOS was trying to use and that was a problem with the AMD Vbios, not the motherboard. A different (newer) AMD card, as well as an Nvidia video card had absolutely no issues.

On modern systems, if something UEFI related doesn't work through displayport, it usually always works through HDMI.

In fact...a 20 second search I did found this for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/f2xiof/lg_38gl950g_owners_please_help/

You surely could have found this yourself if you had put in a little effort.

Falkentyne wrote:
Did you search for this monitor online to see if others have a similar problem? You can't be the only person online who has had this happen.
The last time I saw something like this was many, many years ago on an AMD video card because the AMD card didn't support the specific low resolution graphics mode the BIOS was trying to use and that was a problem with the AMD Vbios, not the motherboard. A different (newer) AMD card, as well as an Nvidia video card had absolutely no issues.

On modern systems, if something UEFI related doesn't work through displayport, it usually always works through HDMI.

In fact...a 20 second search I did found this for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/f2xiof/lg_38gl950g_owners_please_help/

You surely could have found this yourself if you had put in a little effort.

Thank you, updating the DP firmware solved the issue for me.