cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Extreme Omega Crash/Sudden Restart Problems

Super_Gnome
Level 11
In a nutshell:

1. PC was crashing on a daily basis with no apparent hardware issues (temperatures fine, HWMonitor reporting no problem/memory tests and drive tests showed no problems).
2. New BIOS 3006 cannot be used because it has the CPU overclocked at idle (at default settings). Hence on an older BIOS, 0802--which worked fine for almost a year).
3. Reinstallation of Windows (via Windows "Refresh" tool with some apps removed) stopped the daily blue screens.
4. Now new problem: Sudden restarts at random times.

Any help/explanations in regards to these issues would rock. Thanks in advance.
13 REPLIES 13

Hopper64
Level 15
Still makes me wonder about the memory kit. That’s a lot of memory. I think it’s*CMK128GX4M8A2666C16? That’s on the QVL, but I wonder about the IMC not being able to handle that much memory. I see you tested it. Perhaps remove half and see if the problem persists? How did you test your memory?
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
Still makes me wonder about the memory kit. That’s a lot of memory. I think it’s*CMK128GX4M8A2666C16? That’s on the QVL, but I wonder about the IMC not being able to handle that much memory. I see you tested it. Perhaps remove half and see if the problem persists? How did you test your memory?

Thanks for replying, Hoppers!! So you think it could be the memory, huh? But if it worked fine for nearly a year and then, bam, it suddenly started crashing? Does memory or the IMC just suddenly fail like that? As for the memory test, it was just a standard memtest from the control panel.

I suspect it's either the BIOS (which is an old one because 3006 doesnt work properly), some Windows thing, using SLI with DirectX 11 (DirectX 12 does not support SLI)--and hence the Nvidia driver, or maybe a graphics card hardware problem. And it is a real nuisance, man. I'm going nuts.

Oh, that standard memory test from the CP is likely not adequate though. Try this*https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/ * * *Or*https://www.memtest86.com/ or both to test memory. I have also used*https://hcidesign.com/
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64
Level 15
I wasn’t clear on the timeline. Worked ok for a year. That is odd. Memory issue a lot less likely then. Not sure about this.

Aysberg
Level 10
How old is your PSU and what cables do you use to power your GPU. I am running a dual 2080Ti setup too and I needed to change the single GPU power cable ending in two 8-pin (6+2) connectors on my Corsair PSU into two cables for one of my GPUs else my system would reboot under some heavy GPU load situations. The PSU was simply not able to deliver the current. Now everything is rock stable.

Faulty or unstable memory should lead to an BSOD and not a sudden reboot.

Aysberg wrote:
How old is your PSU and what cables do you use to power your GPU.

CORSAIR AXi Series, AX1600i 1600 watt is my PSU (and has been from day one, nearly a year ago now--when everything worked fine--and the computer was fine for about ten months with no problems). It is less than a year old, and I feed two cables to the each of two 2080 ti in my rig--so four cables in all. I now have a second rig and have put the two GPUs in that rig to test them. The PSU in that rig is 1200 watts and I am only running one cable to each of these cards, and there is no problem.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Just to follow up about this issue, the problem has been corrected. With the installation of the latest chipset driver my rig has stopped suddenly restarting/crashing. Hence, problem solved.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Well, there you have it. Another sudden restart yesterday, so the problem is not solved--and this after being fine for more than a week. Hence, back to collecting more dust for this overpriced, underwhelming heap of junk rig. Sigh.

Super Gnome wrote:
Well, there you have it. Another sudden restart yesterday, so the problem is not solved--and this after being fine for more than a week. Hence, back to collecting more dust for this overpriced, underwhelming heap of junk rig. Sigh.

Rollback to the last Windows kernel if you've recently updated. The latest update for W10 has caused a few issues for some users. Failing that, install a dummy OS of W10 and see if the problem persists there.

Check event viewer for the debug codes, may possibly give you some indication on what's causing the crashing.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090