cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Apex+9900KS can't selectively disable C-States (C7)

Swordmaster512
Level 7
Hi everybody. I've just bought a Maximus XI Apex replacing a Gigabyte Aorus Master that encountered countless problems with memory overclocking. My CPU is a 9900KS, I'm overclocking it to 5.1GHz with Adaptive Voltage. I'd like to keep C1e and C3 states enabled while disabling only the C7 state, because I know (from my previous experience with the other board) that it generates instability at medium loads (typically with L0 Cache errors reported in HWInfo). With my Gigabyte board I could simply disable the C-States I didn't want, but with this board it seems that I can only disable all of them or have them all enabled, no matter which ones I manually activate and which ones I manually deactivate. For example, if I disable "CPU C7 report" in BIOS HwInfo and Throttlestop still register C7 State as operating, and the only way to disable it is to completely disable C-States in BIOS. How is it possible that I cannot deactivate them selectively? Is this a BIOS bug or am I missing something? If you could share your experience with other Maximus XI motherboards it would be great. Thanks in advance!
2 REPLIES 2

Carlyle2020
Level 10
I can replicate what you are writing.
But i lack experience in this matter with c-states in regards to overclocking.
I just blindly found "Package C state Limit" and wanted to point it out. Maybe it is of relevance.

If you have OC questions besides c-states i might be able to contribute more.

Best regards
Carlyle

Thanks for the answer! I ended up disabling C-States completely as with Speedstep/Speedshift left on voltage and frequency drop at idle anyway. Just curious to know if it's a bug, maybe I should contact the technical support.