cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Formula - XMP and POST issues / Wrong PCIE video card speed

lmchv
Level 7
I have a Ci9 9900K on a Maximus XI Formula board with 4x8GB Crucial DDR4-2400 memory (BLS8G4D30AESBK.M8FE).

The memory has a XMP profile to run at 3000Mhz CAS15, however, whenever I enable it I get random POST issues with LOAD VGA BIOS message. In order to get the system back to stable, I have to clear CMOS and leave the memory at default settings.

I have tested other memory modules on the board and can successfully enable XMP, the system boots fine everytime.

Also, I'm using a Radeon VII video card but it only works at x8 speeds. I believed it was due to my nvme drive and sound card taking up some PCIE lanes, however I removed them and the card is still recognized as x8 only.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot these issues?. I dont want to spend $300 on new memory or $600 on a new video card.

Thanks!

PD: I'm using the latest BIOS.
5 REPLIES 5

Enderwiggin03
Level 7
Are you using the video card in the correct slot (1)? Is your NVME drive in one of those slots next to the RAM? If so, that'll reduce your PCI-E Lanes going to the CPU. The sound card is using the PCH (Z390) for PCI-E Lanes. As for the RAM, you mention above it's DDR4 2400, then below that say it's 3000. You might have to do some manual configurations to make it work at 3000mhz CAS 15, or replace the ram.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
Are you using the video card in the correct slot (1)? Is your NVME drive in one of those slots next to the RAM? If so, that'll reduce your PCI-E Lanes going to the CPU. The sound card is using the PCH (Z390) for PCI-E Lanes. As for the RAM, you mention above it's DDR4 2400, then below that say it's 3000. You might have to do some manual configurations to make it work at 3000mhz CAS 15, or replace the ram.

I have very similar setup like OP's

Same board, same CPU, GTX 1080, 32GB ram (default speed 2666, XMP to 3333), BOTH M.2 slots are occupied by an nvme samsung 970, all sata ports occupied and even an an add-in card with more sata ports, and a wifi card. ZERO ISSUES. EVERYTHING is operating at maximum performance, including both NVME's (at x4)

lmchv
Level 7
I've tested the video card in PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2, it makes no difference. Also, I've removed the NVME drive and the sound card, the result was the same.

The memory is working now at JEDEC specs (2400Mhz), if I enable the XMP profile (3000Mhz) the boot issues start again.

It's a really weird issue, any other ideas?

lmchv
Level 7
There's certainly a compatibility issue with this Radeon VII and the mainboard. I used a GTX1080 before and it was working fine including the memory using the XMP profile.

I tried reinstalling the GTX1080 and the system does not POST with it anymore, works perfectly on my other computer and a X99 board.

Really strange issues, I'm holding myself until AMD releases their new video card to upgrade it.

lmchv
Level 7
Ok, new BIOS 1502 fixed almost everything.

RAM is now running on a XMP profile fine
Computer boots fine 100% of the time
No more random freezes in Windows 10
FastBoot works fine (no need to disable it anymore)

The videocard however is still shown as x8 in the BIOS and in GPUZ; AMD drivers, CPUZ and HWInfo shows x16 though...

I think it's OK now 🙂