cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus CM6630 desktop BIOS update

drummin_boy
Level 7
Hi guys,

I need help from real experienced genius like you!

Here's the picture:
I have an Asus CM6630 (Essentio Series) that I decided to refresh.
I bought a new SSD to replace the current hard drive, and a new power supply because the old one was defective.
I reinstalled Windows 7 from scratch on the SSD (with the original Microsoft Windows key).
Finally, I cleaned all the dust inside of the case and the CPU fan and heat dissipator. By doing this, I also put some thermal paste on the CPU as it seemed to have no thermal paste at all (?!).
Now, everything run smoothly now.

However, I'd like to upgrade OS to Windows 10 (Home). Before doing that, I think it would be better to update the BIOS.
It currently have BIOS # 0410 (2011-04-28).
I went on the MOTHERBOARD drivers&utility page, and the most recent file has a note saying "*This BIOS is for Latest Win8-ready model only. If your Desktop current BIOS file is XXXX.ROM, please do not upgrade your BIOS to this version or other XXXX.CAP version." My OS being Windows 7, I choose the second newer file that doesn't have that mention. I extracted it on a USB key previously fromated to FAT32 format. When I tried to read the file in the BIOS Asus EZ Flash file, it stopped and this message showed "Image integrity check failed".

Some people suggest me to go on the DESKTOP drivers&utility page, which I did. However, the first file also show the note " "*This BIOS is for Latest Win8-ready model only. If your Desktop current BIOS file is XXXX.ROM, please do not upgrade your BIOS to this version or other XXXX.CAP version." Now I realize the current BIOS version I have (0410) is a ROM file.
However, the most recent ROM file available is 4101 (2012-12-11).

Finally, my questions :
1- Is it really the most recent BIOS update I can use for my computer? What is the most recent file I can use?
2- Can I use a CAP file instead of a ROM file? Can I/should I convert a CAP file into a ROM file (or the opposite)?
3- Why is that the files on the DESKTOP page are not the same as on the MOTHERBOARD page?

Web pages as reference:
Desktop : https://www.asus.com/supportonly/CM6630/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Motherboard : https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61M_PRO/HelpDesk_BIOS/
0 REPLIES 0