Keyboard Steelseries Apex 350
    Mouse Logitech G9x
    Headset Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO + Philips X2HR
    Mouse Pad Mionix Sargas 900
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z623
    OS Windows 11 Pro
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC3200

Hi.

What is the correct method when installing new chipset drivers? Uninstall the old one first? just install the new one on top of the older, safe mode?
    I had 10.1.18950.8297 installed on my Z690 Apex, and intalled the 10.1.18950.8298 without uninstalling the old one first. During installation i god BSOD (dont remember the fault code, but Kernel exception something)

After restart i tried again and it got installed. However, the Pc seems a bit fishy, my USB keyboard has been a little troublesome, not getting detected sometimes (plug it out/in fixes it), and my Intel I225-V ethernel adapter has been disabled in device manager after reboot sometimes, then i need to "disable/enable" it to start it.

Also: What exactly are the Chipset driver on Z690 controlling?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array MoKiChU PC Specs
    MoKiChU PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 - 16GB (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC
    MonitorASUS ROG Strix XG35VQ
    Storage #1SSD NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
    Storage #2SSD NVMe Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | SSD NVMe Corsair Force MP510 240GB | SSHD AHCI Seagate FireCuda 2TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master ML240L RGB
    CaseBitFenix Enso
    Power SupplyCorsair TX850M (850W)
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Strix Scope NX TKL Deluxe
    Mouse ASUS ROG Chakram Core
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z333
    OS Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Quote Originally Posted by Simk1n View Post
    Hi.

What is the correct method when installing new chipset drivers? Uninstall the old one first? just install the new one on top of the older, safe mode?
    I had 10.1.18950.8297 installed on my Z690 Apex, and intalled the 10.1.18950.8298 without uninstalling the old one first. During installation i god BSOD (dont remember the fault code, but Kernel exception something)

After restart i tried again and it got installed. However, the Pc seems a bit fishy, my USB keyboard has been a little troublesome, not getting detected sometimes (plug it out/in fixes it), and my Intel I225-V ethernel adapter has been disabled in device manager after reboot sometimes, then i need to "disable/enable" it to start it.

Also: What exactly are the Chipset driver on Z690 controlling?
    Hi,

The Intel Chipset Drivers are called drivers but they are not really drivers, they have nothing functional/active, they just serve to recognize the product names in Device Manager to identify/index all the pieces of the chipset, but Intel Chipset Drivers conflicts can generate system malfunction.

To avoid Intel Chipset Drivers conflicts :

- Intel Chipset Drivers from Windows Update - Optional updates must not be installed if you use .exe installer.
    - Intel Serial IO Drivers must not be installed before Intel Chipset drivers.

So,

- Follow this process to cleanup both :

- Uninstall your current Intel Chipset Drivers package & Intel Serial IO Drivers package if you have any installed (via Start > Settings > Apps) then restart your PC.
    - Launch Driver Store Explorer (Right click on "Rapr.exe" > Run as administrator) > Check the boxes of all versions of Intel drivers which .inf contains system word or start with ialpss2 word in the System device category (if you find them).
    - Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Driver" button then restart your PC.

- Install Intel Chipset Drivers package :

From the first post of this thread.

- Intel Chipset Drivers

- Install Intel Serial IO Drivers package :

[DRIVERS] Intel Serial IO (3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx)

- Intel Serial IO Drivers (Drivers Only) :
    Drivers - 6xx

Once this is done, you can update your Intel Chipset Drivers and Intel Serial IO Drivers in the order you want when new ones will be released (in both cases, do an update on top of the older), but don't update Intel Chipset Drivers from Windows Update - Optional updates.
    Last edited by MoKiChU; 08-19-2022 at 08:01 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array piratino PC Specs
    piratino PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)OMEN by HP [15-dh0057nl]
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX Z590-I GAMING WIFI
    ProcessorIntel Core i711700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3000MHz CL15-15-15-35 1.35V - F4-3000C15D-32GVR
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GeForce® RTX 3070 Noctua OC Edition 8GB GDDR6
    Sound CardHeadset: Creative Sound BlasterX G1 Portable 7.1 Soundcard /Speakers: [motherboard integrated]
    MonitorHP OMEN X 27
    Storage #1OS: FireCuda 520 SSD 500GB [ZP500GM30002] /Game: FireCuda 520 SSD 1TB [ZP1000GM30002]
    Storage #2Data: Seagate FireCuda Solid State Hybrid Drive 2TB (SSHD) [ST2000DX002]
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15S w/ extra Noctua NF-A15 PWM fan in push-pull configuration
    CaseSilverStone SG10 [SST-SG10B (Black)]
    Power SupplyCorsair SF750 Platinum
    Keyboard Work: Logitech K800 Wireless Keyboard /Game: Keyboard E-YOOSO K-700 [CherryMX Silver Speed Switches]
    Mouse Work: Logitech Wireless Mouse MX Master 2S /Game: Logitech G-Pro X ULTRALIGHT Wireless
    Headset Game: Superlux HD 668B
    Mouse Pad ARTISAN Ninja FX Raiden MID [Black-XL]
    Headset/Speakers Room/Ambient: Creative Labs DTT2200 Desktop Theater Digital 5.1 Computer Speaker System
    OS Microsoft Windows 10 Professional

Quote Originally Posted by MoKiChU View Post
    Hi,

The Intel Chipset Drivers are called drivers but they are not really drivers, they have nothing functional/active, they just serve to recognize the product names in Device Manager to identify/index all the pieces of the chipset, but Intel Chipset Drivers conflicts can generate system malfunction.

- Intel Chipset Drivers from Windows Update - Optional updates must not be installed if you use .exe installer.

So,

- Uninstall your current Intel Chipset Drivers package & Intel Serial IO Drivers package if you have any installed (via Start > Settings > Apps) then restart your PC.
    - Launch Driver Store Explorer (Right click on "Rapr.exe" > Run as administrator) > Check the boxes of all versions of Intel drivers which .inf contains system word or start with ialpss2 word in the System device category (if you find them).
    - Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Driver" button then restart your PC.

- Intel Chipset Drivers

[DRIVERS] Intel Serial IO/Thunderbolt (3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx)

Drivers - 6xx

Once this is done, you can update your Intel Chipset Drivers and Intel Serial IO Drivers in the order you want when new ones will be released (in both cases, do an update on top of the older), but don't update Intel Chipset Drivers from Windows Update - Optional updates.
    This is very interesting, I never knew that.
    Can you please tell us how to block installing Windows Update - Optional updates, or how to not let Windows update prompt us for such updates?
    I have done some modifications to my Windows Update so to not have the classic Windows behavior of prompts for installing every update and not have any of them forced or automatically installed, but I would like to check if I have done everything I can so to avoid in bumping on installing some of those Windows optional updates that you say I should not install.
    Most of all, I would like to understand if there is a way to disable the Optional updates, and how to recognize them.
    I have followed a guide I have found surfing the web on how to edit some policies to Windows Update, but I think would be good to have your hint on what to do, what to avoid, and how to recognize what ti not install, as personally speaking, I can't see any updates related to drivers when installing my updates.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.

ROG Enthusiast Array Simk1n PC Specs
    Simk1n PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus Z690 Apex
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-12900K
    Memory (part number)32GB Team Group Delta DDR5 6200Mhz
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    Sound CardSound Blaster AE-9
    MonitorAOC AG322QC4
    Storage #1Samsung 980 PRO 2TB + 980 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB +970 EVO 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H170i Elite LCD 420mm
    CaseNZXT Phantom 820 White
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 1600W
    Mouse Logitech G9x
    OS Windows 11 Pro

Hi,

So,

- Intel Chipset Drivers

[DRIVERS] Intel Serial IO/Thunderbolt (3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx)

Drivers - 6xx

Thanks you for this, super!

I have now removed the Chipset and IO, used Rapr and installed Chipset first, restart and then IO.

I no longer have the IO under start/settings/apps, but its in the Device manager with correct version number.

From now, i just install both Chipset and IO as it comes out with new version?

Simk1n PC Specs
    MonitorAOC AG322QC4
    Mouse Logitech G9x
    OS Windows 11 Pro

Exactly.
    Thanks again!

One more question. So there is no drivers that need the old ones to be uninstalled first?, only install new on on top of older ones? I guess also its recommended to run the Rapr.exe after installing new ones?

Is there more driver that need to be installed in a particular order if you need a cleanup? Like Chipset before IO ?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array MoKiChU PC Specs
    MoKiChU PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 - 16GB (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC
    MonitorASUS ROG Strix XG35VQ
    Storage #1SSD NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
    Storage #2SSD NVMe Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | SSD NVMe Corsair Force MP510 240GB | SSHD AHCI Seagate FireCuda 2TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master ML240L RGB
    CaseBitFenix Enso
    Power SupplyCorsair TX850M (850W)
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Strix Scope NX TKL Deluxe
    Mouse ASUS ROG Chakram Core
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z333
    OS Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Thanks again!

One more question. So there is no drivers that need the old ones to be uninstalled first?, only install new on on top of older ones?
    Hi,

Yes, cleanup/uninstall should only be done in very specific cases or if there is an issue.

I guess also its recommended to run the Rapr.exe after installing new ones?
    Yes it is, but note that some drivers, despite being used by your system, will never have the Device Name field filled in (like Extensions drivers for example), or the Device Name will have field filled in only if the device is present and connected, so do not rely on this to know if your drivers are useful for your system or not. So generally speaking, don't remove any drivers manually unless you know exactly what you're doing. The only safe action that you can take on a regular basis is the action of remove the automatic selection of old unused drivers :

- Install your drivers > Restart/Auto-Restart.
    - Launch Driver Store Explorer (Run as administrator) > Click on the "Select Old Driver(s)" button.
    - Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Driver(s)" button.

But be aware that this automatic method does not apply it to the Storage controllers drivers & System devices drivers for safety reasons (to avoid any situation where a system start is no longer possible), so for these drivers categories the removal of old unused drivers must be done manually (again, only if you know exactly what you are doing).

Is there more driver that need to be installed in a particular order if you need a cleanup? Like Chipset before IO ?
    No exaggerated worry, just follow these principles :

- After a Windows clean Install, install the Intel Chipset Drivers before all other drivers (don't update them from Windows Update - Optional updates.
    - Before a Intel ME Firmware update, make sure you have the latest version of the Intel MEI Drivers.
    - Do not mix the types/sources of drivers you use.

So if you have used Intel MEI drivers from others types/sources than what I offer here and want to use my drivers packages, I advise you to do this :

- Uninstall Intel Management Engine Components from your apps installed (Start > Settings > Apps) then restart your PC
    - Launch Driver Store Explorer > Check the boxes of all versions of these drivers .inf (if you find them) : heci.inf | dal.inf | dal_wc.inf | iclsclient.inf | lms.inf | mesrl.inf | mewmiprov.inf | wiman.inf | wiman_wlan_extension.inf
    - Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Driver" button then restart your PC
    - Download the Intel MEI drivers package from the first post of this thread
    - Follow the Install/Update Process

Simk1n PC Specs
    MonitorAOC AG322QC4
    Mouse Logitech G9x
    OS Windows 11 Pro

Hi,

Yes, cleanup/uninstall should only be done in very specific cases or if there is an issue.

Yes it is, but note that some drivers, despite being used by your system, will never have the Device Name field filled in (like Extensions drivers for example), or the Device Name will have field filled in only if the device is present and connected, so do not rely on this to know if your drivers are useful for your system or not. So generally speaking, don't remove any drivers manually unless you know exactly what you're doing. The only safe action that you can take on a regular basis is the action of remove the automatic selection of old unused drivers :

- Install your drivers > Restart/Auto-Restart.
    - Launch Driver Store Explorer (Run as administrator) > Click on the "Select Old Driver(s)" button.
    - Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Driver(s)" button.

But be aware that this automatic method does not apply it to the Storage controllers drivers & System devices drivers for safety reasons (to avoid any situation where a system start is no longer possible), so for these drivers categories the removal of old unused drivers must be done manually (again, only if you know exactly what you are doing).

No exaggerated worry, just follow these principles :

- After a Windows clean Install, install the Intel Chipset Drivers before all other drivers (don't update them from Windows Update - Optional updates.
    - Before a Intel ME Firmware update, make sure you have the latest version of the Intel MEI Drivers.
    - Do not mix the types/sources of drivers you use.

So if you have used Intel MEI drivers from others types/sources than what I offer here and want to use my drivers packages, I advise you to do this :

- Uninstall Intel Management Engine Components from your apps installed (Start > Settings > Apps) then restart your PC
    - Launch Driver Store Explorer > Check the boxes of all versions of these drivers .inf (if you find them) : heci.inf | dal.inf | dal_wc.inf | iclsclient.inf | lms.inf | mesrl.inf | mewmiprov.inf | wiman.inf | wiman_wlan_extension.inf
    - Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Driver" button then restart your PC
    - Download the Intel MEI drivers package from the first post of this thread
    - Follow the Install/Update Process
    Thank you again for all this useful information!

I could not find "Intel Management Engine Components" in my Start->Settings->Apps, so i dont think (but not sure) i have it installed other then from here. I might have installed it from the Asus Z690 Apex software site, but i dont think so, and if i had, it should have been in the app list?

In device manager, i have the correct version number downloaded from here.

New ROGer Array Jimbo93 PC Specs
    Jimbo93 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ABS Master Gaming PC
    MotherboardASUS Prime B560M-A AC
    ProcessorINTEL i5 10400F
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F4-3200C16D-16GVKB x 2
    Graphics Card #1ASUS DUAL-RTX3060TI-O8G-V2
    Sound CardRealTek HD
    MonitorSAMSUNG 40" LCD
    Storage #1INTEL 660p NVMe SSD PEKNW512GB
    CPU CoolerTHERMALTAKE UX100 ARGB
    CaseTUF GAMING GT301
    Power SupplyASUS TUF GAMING BRONZE 650W
    Keyboard TUF GAMING K1
    Mouse TUF GAMING M3
    Headset/Speakers Cambridge Works PC
    OS Win 11 Pro 21H2 22000.652
    Accessory #1 Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.652.0

Just fixed a problem with the MEI driver

I did not know for sure there was a problem, but the system did seem a little off. What I found was that I had two versions of heci.inf in my driver store. And the funny thing is that driver store explorer didn't detect the old driver as an old driver. So when I finally noticed it was there, I deleted the older one had a date of July '21. The system seemed to start running a little better. I measure a little better drive performance.

Edit:
    I just learned that Driver Store Explorer is designed to not delete System drivers simply like other drivers, a safety precaution. Makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Jimbo93; 02-16-2022 at 01:58 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Thank you.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array DmitriyS PC Specs
    DmitriyS PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME
    Processori9-9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8Gb F4-4000C18D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock (NEB1080T15P
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220
    MonitorASUS VG248QE (None G-Sync)
    Storage #11 TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 PRO [MZ-V7P1T0BW]
    Storage #22ТB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 & 3ТБ TOSHIBA DT01ACA300
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 chromax.black
    CasePHANTEKS Enthoo Pro 2 TG RGB Black
    Power SupplySeasonic PRIME ULTRA 850W TITANIUM RTL (SSR-850TR)
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore
    Mouse ASUS ROG Gladius II Origin
    Mouse Pad ROG Sheath
    OS Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1
    Network RouterKEENETIC Giga (kn-1010)

Thank you MoKiChU for updated

Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast