cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SX - Charging and battery mode - BIG Difference!

mich356c
Level 7
Hello everybody 🙂

When i'm playing while charging, there is no lagg at all. But then when i play on battery mode, the FPS, in Minecraft for example, drops to 15 for 1 second or just totally freezes for 1 second. And it does that every 10th second or so .....

Is there anything i can do about it?

If i can't do anything about it, i would like to know WHY it does so ...

If your solution makes the battery use more power, i don't care 😄 Please tell me anyways ... It is on "High Performance" when charging and battery mode ...

- Michael
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
The "Minimum processor state" in advanced power options allows the CPU to drop to 5% (while plugged in it is maxed out at 100%) on the High Performance option. In addition, CPU Throttling can be more prevalent while on battery power.

It's not just a matter of using more battery power, however. The high discharge rate produced by gaming on battery power can be harmful to battery life. Heed this warning from @unclewebb concerning gaming while on battery power: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ColonelS
Level 9
I would recommend using only AC adapter when playing.

Dont charge and play at the same time
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

Can you offer an explanation as to why one shouldn't play while charging? ( Seems rediculous )
ASUS g74SX-XT1

So im not supposed to play while charging, so i have to play laggy while on battery mode? O_o

xeromist
I guess he's saying that potentially you are drawing more juice if it's charging at the same time but you don't really have control over this unless you removed the battery. If you're having problems with overloading the power adapter you could always get a bigger one but I don't think I've heard of anyone having such a problem.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Played on battery today and the consistency in FPS is definitely a big difference. In battlefield 3 I actually dropped sub 20fps on high settings on battery mode. From 40fps to 18fps. I tried to see if anything was causing it in particular, ie: explosions, smoke, etc to no avail. Just seemed rather intermittent.

Edit* I went into power options and on battery the min. processor rate was 5%. Changed it to 100% going to try it out again.
ASUS g74SX-XT1

Skye
Level 7
I play SWTOR. without charging and on Entertainment settings
FPS was 15+ - 40

On AC = 30-100

fostert
Level 12
At quasi-full CPU+GPU load the G74 uses close to 150 Watts already (see my tally of TDPs of G74 parts around here somewhere...), to say nothing of the extra wattage that will be drawn from the power supply when charging. Thus, another reason not to "play and charge" is you really stress your supply beyond its rated specs (150 W), which in turn will subject your G74 mainboard power subsystem components to an unclean signal with high ripple (which prematurely wears the caps and causes them to fail sooner). ASUS gave us a barely (in?)adequate power supply for running the G74 already: don't try to use it for much beyond normal running.

If your G74 is parked for most of the time grab a 180-230 W adaptor from ASUS. they're bigger and heavier so not for travelling, but are great for docking stations.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Don't expect to play even the simplest of 3D games on battery without any stuttering. Just pray that asus invents a supercell battery capable of powering High CPU/GPU loads and sustaining them. 😄
ASUS g74SX-XT1