cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z390 series, PEG-PCIE Gen.3 & ASPM problems

vitalik_t
Level 7
I'm using Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING motherboard and Geforce GTX 1080 Ti GPU. When PEG-PCIE ASPM is enabled, PEG-PCIE speed is set on Auto (Gen.3) or Gen.3, any 3D application causes immediately GPU driver crash, so application crashes to desktop. If ASPM is disabled and PCIE speed is Gen.3, everything is OK. Also, if ASPM is enabled and PCIE speed is Gen.2, everything is OK. I also have my previous PC, which is based on Z170 PRO GAMING MB, and I've tried to exchange every component to isolate the problem.
First of all Z170 MB is on PEG-PCIE ASPM is enabled and PEG-PCIE speed is set on Auto (Gen.3). GTX 1080 Ti doesn't get any GPU driver crashes.
On my new Z390 PC I've installed from the previous PC GTX 1070 GPU, RAM, storage device and PSU. And got the same crash results.
I'm trying to debug that problem for many months, so MB was on different BIOS versions, now it is on the latest one. Also, different Windows 10 versions (1904 and 1910) with fresh installs and many different GPU drivers. I've concluded that there is some MB problem, but since on stock setting of ASPM (disabled) everything is OK, I've got no chances for RMA.
Lately, I've discovered that one of my friends uses Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI APEX MB (Z390) with latest BIOS and Geforce RTX 2080 Ti. But he doesn't enable ASPM in BIOS. I've enabled it for a testing. And, his PC got the same crashes.
Now, I conclude that there is some problem with a Coffee Lake platform.
Is it a common problem? Does anybody know any fixes that?
3 REPLIES 3

Falkentyne
Level 12
Why are you even enabling that setting to begin with?
It just slows down your benchmark speeds if it's enabled and it has some relation to C-states.
This should only be enabled on laptops to save power.

vitalik_t
Level 7
To save power: turn off PCIE PHY of root (CPU) and endpoint (GPU) when no active link is needed (video output turned off).
ASPM for GPU can't degrade graphical performance, because OS kernel scheduler decides when to turn off the PCIE link, if inside processes list there is at least one process with opened PCIE session, those particular link won't be shutted down.
C states control registers are inside SOC Core (in each core), ASPM control registers are inside SOC Uncore. There is no connection between them.
My major reason for opening the thread, is because looks like there is some bug that shouldn't exist. Since there is no such problems on Asus Z170 series, I may conclude that Asus MBs quality is degrading, and I should reevaluate my future MB purchase.

Squall_Leonhart
Level 8
This is a driver bug in Nvidia drivers after 452.22, please lodge feedback