cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 980X Overclocking - Heat problem

D3
Level 7
Hello guys I have an i7 980x and I'm trying to overclock it on my Asus Rampage III Extreme. I just bought a cooler master masterliquid ml240l rgb cooler but the temperatures at 4.1GHZ even at 1.3V vcore are in the high 70s. :mad: I am also using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut thermal paste but it doesn't seem to help. 😞
I really don't know what is going on, as before I was using the stock i7 980x cooler and it could sustainly keep the temps under 80C when running Cinebench at 4.2GHZ.
6 REPLIES 6

RedSector73
Level 12
My old i7-980x is now service kindergarten children in the sand pit. Mine would thermal throttle when I tried overclock it at all. My experience says these chips run stock fine, slight o/c fine but real overclocking produces excessive amounts of heat.

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Well i can remember that far back quiet fondly. I bought mine in Hong Kong and paired it a Formula with 2x580s and a 460 for PhysX in a FT02 which still runs beside me. The NH-D14 i just recently sold because of blemishes. After review i can say in my rig the NH-D14 ran coller with 2x new 120mm fans/free mounts than my NH-D15. But just by a measurable smidge.

My Formula ran a BCLK of 120 24/7 for 7 years. Just the usb3 autodetect would fail, so i had to plug usb3 in and then start the rig.

As for things to try:
Research the AIO and its power in comparison to your old ones cooling power lvl.
Then remount that thing.
Maaaaaybe doing it once outside the case to check if the Motherboard bends? Just because it 's the weekend 😉

Reading your text i am not sure:
Did you "also" try out that new paste or only that new paste ?
If it is the latter use your finger once to thinly spread and test it.
If the mount is somehow uneven maybe even more paste.
Because:
- either the paste or me seem to like it
- paste gone bad can be sometimes easier felt than observed.

Best Regards
Carlyle

ps
a 950 heatoutput feels like a 8700k
a 980x fells more like a 9900k.
I say "feel" because i did not do my homework with this comparsion.
That was pure gut.

Carlyle2020 wrote:
Well i can remember that far back quiet fondly. I bought mine in Hong Kong and paired it a Formula with 2x580s and a 460 for PhysX in a FT02 which still runs beside me. The NH-D14 i just recently sold because of blemishes. After review i can say in my rig the NH-D14 ran coller with 2x new 120mm fans/free mounts than my NH-D15. But just by a measurable smidge.

My Formula ran a BCLK of 120 24/7 for 7 years. Just the usb3 autodetect would fail, so i had to plug usb3 in and then start the rig.

As for things to try:
Research the AIO and its power in comparison to your old ones cooling power lvl.
Then remount that thing.
Maaaaaybe doing it once outside the case to check if the Motherboard bends? Just because it 's the weekend 😉

Reading your text i am not sure:
Did you "also" try out that new paste or only that new paste ?
If it is the latter use your finger once to thinly spread and test it.
If the mount is somehow uneven maybe even more paste.
Because:
- either the paste or me seem to like it
- paste gone bad can be sometimes easier felt than observed.

Best Regards
Carlyle

ps
a 950 heatoutput feels like a 8700k
a 980x fells more like a 9900k.
I say "feel" because i did not do my homework with this comparsion.
That was pure gut.

I think I found the problem. I took the cpu out again cleaned it and reapplied thermal paste, though this time I applied the regular Cooler Master thermal paste that was inside the box with my cpu watercooler. In addition as I was screwing down the cooler I tightened it a little bit further. ( Before I only screwed it gently as far as the screws would go without pushing it a little more )

Now the temps are lower and I am able to run stable at 4.27Ghz at around 1.38 vcore with max temp in Cinebench reaching 75-76 C .
🙂

Jesseinsf
Level 10
D3@tH-KnIghT wrote:
Hello guys I have an i7 980x and I'm trying to overclock it on my Asus Rampage III Extreme. I just bought a cooler master masterliquid ml240l rgb cooler but the temperatures at 4.1GHZ even at 1.3V vcore are in the high 70s. :mad: I am also using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut thermal paste but it doesn't seem to help. 😞
I really don't know what is going on, as before I was using the stock i7 980x cooler and it could sustainly keep the temps under 80C when running Cinebench at 4.2GHZ.

Wow, I just gave my old PC with an Intel Core i7 930 to a friend. It has this Motherboard.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T7_WS_SuperComputer/

Jesseinsf wrote:
Wow, I just gave my old PC with an Intel Core i7 930 to a friend. It has this Motherboard.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T7_WS_SuperComputer/

Still going strong with no issues whatsoever. Just ordered an RX 5700 XT to extend its lifespan a little bit longer before I change CPU and motherboard again. After all it's already been 10 years that I have it 😉 😉 😉

D3@tH-KnIghT wrote:
Still going strong with no issues whatsoever. Just ordered an RX 5700 XT to extend its lifespan a little bit longer before I change CPU and motherboard again. After all it's already been 10 years that I have it 😉 😉 😉

Just saying, the Ryzen stock 1800x was roughly twice as good in nearly everything when compared to stock 980x, so even 2700x or 3900x is major step up. ~imo of owning all three. In my Intel 980x system, the cpu had trouble driving Nvidia 980ti to its limits wonder if you will see the same issue with it driving 5700XT ?