cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pardon my ignorance

andlaw
Level 10
Hello, I was hoping someone with knowledge in this particular area could chime in. When I first purchased the ROG Encore motherboard I updated BIOS and noticed a few things other than lesser performance on benchmarks, particularly being the Intel turbo boost technology program throwing an error after each boot/ reboot.. but more so my cores all remained static at 4700MHz. (47 being the highest ratio select-able). This is both present in BIOS versions 0504 and 0505, so I rolled back to 0401 where I have remained for the last 2 months. Last night I noticed there was a new version available and still wanting 'Intel's updated microcode' I updated to 0603 and what a nightmare!!! BIOS froze on the update and then black screen in bios menu, then settings wouldn't save, but finally after four or so attempts my settings saved and I was able to boot. Again, intel turbo boost technology tossing an error on boot, and all cores remain static at 4700MHz. After opening Asus | Intel extreme tuning utility I notice again that the highest ratio option is 47. so here is where my question/s are. ...

1, why is it capped at 47, and is there a way to increase this value without setting the ratio in BIOS. &
2, why are my cores remaining static at a given frequency rather ramp when utilized........ this is considered a Main problem because I don't want the consistent power draw on the chip if I am barely using the computer.

I ended up rolling back to version 0401 because I kept getting random reboots among the other reasons, even when nothing was being used it shut off and restarted. 0401 is rock solid!! Intel extreme tuning utility - the ratio maxes out at 80!!!!! albeit I can only go to 51, but still! Why does this version of bios allow the core ratio to be pretty much unlimited but 0603 or even the 0504/05 versions capped at a measly 47. Thermals are all in check, even while stress testing, the CPU package has never exceeded 85c and in real life scenarios it never hits over mid 70s.

sorry for the long text, this is just baffling and I would very much like to know how and why, and what fixes are possible.. if any. thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3

Int8bldr
Level 11
hm, not my experience at all and I have R6EE with a 10980XE

You mean you cannot go above 4.7 even in BIOS?

what did you set in BIOS? maybe post a few images off Extreme menu and sub menu settings...

You need to set XMP (if you have XMP memory) or manual OC first to get access to all the intersting settings.
then go and set per core OC and then set each core multiplier individually... etc need the BIOS screen images to show what I mean...

if nothing works: maybe clear CMOS and start over to ensure you are starting clean...

I've been able to do 5GHz with some BIOS work of course (no sustainable though). Backed down to per core OC to something I'm comfortable with running 24/7 tests for days (folding at home hits the cores super hard with AVX and it will tell you if something is sustainable or not - AIDA64 etc are good too but does not really hammer the CPU the same way folding at home does for hours and hours in different AVX and non AVX ways).

Int8bldr wrote:
hm, not my experience at all and I have R6EE with a 10980XE

You mean you cannot go above 4.7 even in BIOS?

what did you set in BIOS? maybe post a few images off Extreme menu and sub menu settings...

You need to set XMP (if you have XMP memory) or manual OC first to get access to all the intersting settings.
then go and set per core OC and then set each core multiplier individually... etc need the BIOS screen images to show what I mean...

if nothing works: maybe clear CMOS and start over to ensure you are starting clean...

I've been able to do 5GHz with some BIOS work of course (no sustainable though). Backed down to per core OC to something I'm comfortable with running 24/7 tests for days (folding at home hits the cores super hard with AVX and it will tell you if something is sustainable or not - AIDA64 etc are good too but does not really hammer the CPU the same way folding at home does for hours and hours in different AVX and non AVX ways).

my question didn't have anything to do with overclocking in BIOS. I stated, being on BIOS version 0401, using Intel extreme tuning utility. ..... the core ratio maxes at 80. But, on BIOS versions 0504, 0505, 0603 the max ratio is 47. I am not wanting to set this value in BIOS, the only thing I have changed in bios settings other than raid, was enabling XMP profile.
so back to my original question/s, why does this value change in the program when using different bios versions, and why after bios versions 0504 does the intel turbo boost technology application break function (also causing all cores to run a static frequency rather fluctuate when being used/ not used. thanks!

andlaw wrote:
my question didn't have anything to do with overclocking in BIOS. I stated, being on BIOS version 0401, using Intel extreme tuning utility. ..... the core ratio maxes at 80. But, on BIOS versions 0504, 0505, 0603 the max ratio is 47. I am not wanting to set this value in BIOS, the only thing I have changed in bios settings other than raid, was enabling XMP profile.
so back to my original question/s, why does this value change in the program when using different bios versions, and why after bios versions 0504 does the intel turbo boost technology application break function (also causing all cores to run a static frequency rather fluctuate when being used/ not used. thanks!

ok not using the Intel extreme tuning utility. Tried it but stopped using it (too frustrating) and went back to old fashion BIOS which gives maximum control and tuning capabilities. So can't help you there.