cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW buzzing sound when anything changes on the screen

Haixys
Level 7
Hi all and thank you beforehand.

I have a 4 year old GL552VW-DM141. Used to have a Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD on it, but after S.M.A.R.T. warning, some weird behavior and BSODs happening over the last few weeks, I installed a new Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD along with a fresh install of Windows 10. This was two weeks ago, and everything was running smooth ever since.

A couple of days ago, at the end of the night and in silence, I noticed a low buzzing sound coming from below the keyboard. It stops whenever the screen is still, but is audible everytime anything changes in the screen -very lightly if it's just the mouse moving, but more intense if it's an animation, a video or anything more massive. I double-checked it continues with the volume muted or with external speakers connected and turned off, so it doesn't come from the speakers. I can't tell if it happens when playing powerful graphics games, as the sound of the fans is much louder. Even though the sound is very light, I don't think it was always there, or I would have noticed on some silent night in the past 4 years.

I suspect it comes from the integrated graphics, i.e. physically from the processor, and that has me very worried. I already tried updating Intel Graphics drivers, with no result other than my external monitor starting to flicker (so I reverted to the previous driver).

I tried to record the audio, which you can hear here (use headphones and turn up the volume, because it is indeed very low). It's the buzzing sound, ignore my mouse clicks. If I had to locate the source of the sound, I would say it comes from around the "G" key in the keyboard.

I wanna know if this is a normal sound and I can carry on using my computer, or it is asking for immediate action.

Thank you all!
0 REPLIES 0