Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Rog 2080 TI OC fans acting wierd

Hi, I've bought my Asus Rog Strix 2080TI OC ( https://www.asus.com/it/Graphics-Car...I-O11G-GAMING/ ) from Amazon back in July 2019 and so far I didn't have any issues with it.

However last week I'm starting to notice something wierd happening. When I'm playing games like Apex, PUBG or Warzone sometimes the fans ramp up noticeably for a few seconds making A LOT of noise and then go back to their normal speed while usually gaming (around 60% fan speed iirc). This thing here repeats itself very often while gaming.

I'm sure it's the gpu because using hw monitor I've seen that the fans hit over 3000 rpm in these few seconds and then go back to their normal speed around 2000/2500 rpm.

According to my tests with Afterburner, to reach > 3000 rpm fan speed is well over 80% speed!

Now I'm worried there could be some issues since I've never had this gpu showing this behaviour, ESPECIALLY considering room temperature now it's mild at best and this fan behaviour didn't happen AT ALL in summer where in my room temperatures get +10° C of what it is now.

In summer my room temperature reaches over 30° C... I wonder what will the fans do then lol?

Please note I highly doubt it's a dust buildup issue given the card is new (not even 1 year of life) and my case is pretty big and ventilated (Thermaltake X5 with Noctua NF A-20 as intake). Also the case is on my desk so even less dust gets inside.

Also found this thread here with folks complaining about an issue with striking resemblance to mine which is very concerning https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...n-fan-behavior

What do you think? Should I ask for refund like these guys did? I don't want to find myself with a dead gpu in a few months.
    Last edited by arkantos91; 03-30-2020 at 11:39 AM.

New ROGer Array

I'm having the same problem.

Since a few weeks ago the card started to go 100% on one fan when temps are >74C. That's a problem that bypasses any external fan control including trying to use a fixed value in MSI afterburner. The problem is recent, it wasn't present last summer where I certainly got temps on the 75C-80C range while on heavy load

I have read that it could be related to thermal paste not being applied homogeneously over the chip, and that the fan speed increase is hardcoded in the BIOS for temps > 85C, so people having this problem at 72,75,78, etc.. could be having problems with part of the chip having a higher temp that recorded.

Some people got rid of the problem reapplying the thermal paste, but I don't want to void the warranty (And I'm quite clumsy at those kind of things TBH)

On top of that I've started to have problems with coil whine, something that didn't happen before

In this forums it was suggested that the best solution was RMA-ing the card:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...behavior/page2

But I wanted to know if there's another solution, considering that I'm not even sure when it woill be possilbe for me to send the card due to the pandemic restrictions, much less when I will get the new card back.

Any help would be appreciated.

New ROGer Array

I highly doubt we'll get any help at this point since my original post is 10 days old by now.

A bunch of people seems to have solved the issue by re applying thermal paste.

If there are no seals then it should mean we're able to do that without voiding warranty.

It seems like often very cheap thermal paste is used by manufacturers.

Probably it's so low quality it already dried off in less than a year.

Can anyone please confirm we can do that without voiding warranty? Otherwise I'll do rma right away!

EDIT: I checked on my gpu and it has a white sticker on one of the screws... so this means we cannot change thermal paste without removing it. Now, those stickers have been declared ILLEGAL in the US, but I'm in Europe so I need to know if I can remove it or if doing so will result in my warranty being invalidated by Asus
    Last edited by arkantos91; 04-11-2020 at 11:05 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array Sydneyblue PC Specs
    Sydneyblue PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    MotherboardAsus Z390 Maximus XI HERO
    ProcessorI9 9900k
    Memory (part number)Hyper Predator 16gb 3200
    Graphics Card #12080ti Strix non OC
    MonitorHP OMEN 27 GSYNC 165hz
    CPU CoolerHyper evo 212 Black Edition
    CaseLian LI Landcool 2
    Power SupplyAsus ROG 850 thor
    Mouse Razor Deathadder
    OS WIndows 10 PRO

What are the temps in game when this happens ? I have 2080ti non oc version and using MSI afterburner i max out the power limit and temp limit so i get more stable clock plus i use a custom fan curve. This card dumps all kinds of heat i cant even have my side panel open. The only card i knew to dump this kind of heat is 980ti EVGA Classy

9900k Asus Maximus XI 32GB Hyper X Predator 2080ti Strix non OC Lian Li Lancool 2 White ROG Thor 850

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneyblue View Post
    What are the temps in game when this happens ? I have 2080ti non oc version and using MSI afterburner i max out the power limit and temp limit so i get more stable clock plus i use a custom fan curve. This card dumps all kinds of heat i cant even have my side panel open. The only card i knew to dump this kind of heat is 980ti EVGA Classy
    Thanks for answering.

As I said as soon as gpu temps are over 70/71° the fans go crazy with bursts in speed WELL over 3000 rpm.

I'm not doing any kind of OC nor I use a custom fan curve.

I'm not sure I understood what you said about having the side panel open, but that's not something that should be considered normal and acceptable if you ask me.

New ROGer Array

For me it was 75C, and it ignored custom fan curves or fixed speeds set on MSI Afterburner

However I've had some succes with pushing the card up. It seems that the problem in my case might not be that the thermal paste dried, it seems more like the weight is separating the cooler from the board a little, maybe the thermal paste layer is thinner on some part and that's enough to cause problems. Pushing it up with my hand let me go to 78 before fans went crazy.

After that, I used some spare case parts to keep pushing the card up, set a low fan speed to force temps up, fired up furmark and took it to 84C without incidents so it's OK for now.

You could try if that's your case too, it's a huge card, even by custom cooler card stardards, and it seems to haave some problems keeping itself together

Sydneyblue PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9900k
    CaseLian LI Landcool 2
    Mouse Razor Deathadder
    OS WIndows 10 PRO

Bro why are you letting your gpu get so hot ? This is a 1200 dollar graphics card. I think your being a bit blind to the situation. The card is getting to hot you are losing all the boost clock. Leaving the side panel off will help because clearly air flow is a problem. The other guy said repaste which imo is a good idea just to make sure nothing changed. I really dont care if you burn you card out or not. im just telling you what i know to be true. Heat kills cards. you need to get you head out of the idea that everything should be perfect
    Last edited by Sydneyblue; 04-16-2020 at 08:13 AM.

9900k Asus Maximus XI 32GB Hyper X Predator 2080ti Strix non OC Lian Li Lancool 2 White ROG Thor 850

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by kai2020 View Post
    You could try if that's your case too, it's a huge card, even by custom cooler card stardards, and it seems to haave some problems keeping itself together
    My motherboard is placed horizontally so there is no weight issues for me.

Bro why are you letting your gpu get so hot ? This is a 1200 dollar graphics card. I think your being a bit blind to the situation. The card is getting to hot you are losing all the boost clock. Leaving the side panel off will help because clearly air flow is a problem. The other guy said repaste which imo is a good idea just to make sure nothing changed. I really dont care if you burn you card out or not. im just telling you what i know to be true. Heat kills cards. you need to get you head out of the idea that everything should be perfect
    I agree. I would get worried even if it reaches only 75°, let alone 80 or more.

Repaste is not an option until someone from Asus confirms it can be done without voiding the warranty since there is a sticker on one of the screws preventing opening the card.

As you said it is a 1200 dollar gpu, so I won't risk losing my warranty trying to fix it in case they've used crappy thermal paste. The fact that we can't do simple maintenance like replacing thermal paste without risking RMA rejection it's ridicolous. Also having to replace thermal paste after way less than a year (in my case 8 months) it's shameful.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneyblue View Post
    OK, maybe I didn't explain myself well. I don't have any temp or airflow problem.

After I reinforced the card so the cooler didn't push it down, I artificially raised the temps to 84C to test if the problem was still there, and at what temp happened, by forcing a low fan speed and running a stress test.

After checking that it doesn´t happen anymore I turned my custom fan profile on again, and temps are back to the normal 70-75 max.

For me the problem was never high temps, the problem was having, while on low temps, a fan behaviour that should only happen on extreme temps (85C+ according to another thread here). I assume is the same for AMarkantos91, and there are other people in this forum and others with similar problems at relatively low temps (60s, low 70s)

Sydneyblue PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9900k
    CaseLian LI Landcool 2
    Mouse Razor Deathadder
    OS WIndows 10 PRO

My card never goes above 62c

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast