cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Such Limited RGB Control in Aura / Armory Crate?

alphamachine
Level 9
So, coming into this RGB thing, especially with addressable RGB, one might expect a little too much. But even then, ASUS' RGB software is seriously lacking, and in a lot of cases, some of the effects just don't do what they should. For example, when selecting Rainbow > Gradient, and then limiting the color to the blue and purple section of the wheel and then applying it, the effect is still full on rainbow, all of the colors represented. It just doesn't work. Nor was I able to get Aura to pick up my Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM, even with the Corsair/Aura plugin installed.

I mean, what's the point in having ARGB if the only thing that really works properly is basic rainbow effect or a single static color? Comet? Broken. It does this insanely fast (a millisecond) flash of color on the back IO section and the water block, and then goes blank for a full couple of seconds, then flashes quickly again. Doesn't do anything on the rest of the ARGB strips. Flash and Dash? Nothing at all. Completely blank.

This is all on a fresh install of Windows 10 1909 / Aura Sync software (not Armory Crate), with the ASUS Strix X570-E Gaming motherboard with the latest BIOS, the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case with ARGB lighting, Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM (ARGB as well), and Enermax LiqMax III ARGB 360 AIO. Honestly, the software just sucks and I wish someone would make a universal ARGB software suite with advanced ARGB settings that is built around the ability for others to program plugins for it for their hardware.

And what I want to be able to do with my addressable RGB lighting is fade across the length of a strip or a series of fans from one color to another, no animations, no movement, just a SOLID gradient, or apply individual colors to each LED, or sections of LED's. I'd like to be able to select a portion of the strip, apply a color, select another portion, apply a different color, etc. Addressable RGB is capable of this. So, why isn't the software?

For example, my Enthoo Evolv X case has a thin line of LED lighting along the length of the PSU shroud, and I'd like to be able to start with one color and end with another along that line.

Think ASUS will ever bother with something like this? I feel like they probably won't. It's almost like they just added the basic effects that every other manufacturer has just to be able to say they have RGB software, whether it's functionally acceptable or not. And I would just hang it up with ASUS' RGB software all together, simply because iCUE is a fantastic software suite that manages to function properly across a wide array of hardware, yet Corsair refuses to incorporate addressable RGB control into it. Yet another deadend.

At this point, I kinda wish I had gone with a different motherboard manufacturer, because while ASUS might be a bit of a step up from Gigabyte in terms of software, it all still feels really clunky and poorly thought-out. :eek:

Story of our lives, eh?
4 REPLIES 4

Sydneyblue
Level 7
The software causes performance issues in game i dont even use it

Right. I keep it set to a solid color, so it only takes up about 2% of my CPU usage (3900X) from what I can tell.

Bump. I've installed the latest version of Windows 10 (20H2 or whatever) and the latest Armoury Crate, and now the RGB options are even MORE limited. Now, you can no longer select different portions of the motherboard and apply different colors to each. They all either have to be the same color (Solid) or have some animated effect applied to them. I don't want animated effects, I just want to be able to actually use the features on the motherboard, but the software doesn't allow for it.

Where did the option go to select portions of the motherboard, or various strips, addressable or otherwise, separately from the rest and apply color to them?

SgtChow
Level 7
This is the question I came here for. I am disapointed by this. There seems to be serious limitations to most hardware/RGB just like this. MY Thermaltake fans can do really cool things on thermaltakes hardware but their controllers make the fan speed settings worthless which makes the fans useless. My only choice now is armory crate or aura sync. Armory has 30 functions and one of them is lights which is literally the only thing consumers want from it. Seriously ASUS I can update my own damn drivers and turn my USB charging on and off, let me control the colors I bought all this hardware for.