cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding USB-C / Thunderbolt and upgrading G20CB GPU

medic3160
Level 7
So I'd like to upgrade the oriiginal GTX 980 in my G20CB and I'd really prefer to upgrade to one of the newer cards that include a USB C connector like the NVIDIA RTX 2080 Turbo. However, it seems like that particular model has been discontinued and from what Ive read, the more powerful cards such as the RTX 2080 Ti Turbo that include USB-C ports might draw too much power for the PSU to handle. Is there any other card I should be looking at that would have the preferred turbo cooling setup and give me a USB C port as well?

I know I'm limiting myself a lot by trying to add that USB -C port, but I'm looking to future proof and be able to accomodate some peripherials that have a USB-C cable. I know they make adapters, but they dont allow the full speed of USB-3 to be used. I also use my rig for VR so the idea of adding one of those VR ready USB C ports is very attractive to me.

Alternatively, if anyone else can think of a way to add one of these ports to the G20 series, (with or without VR suppport) I'm open to doing that and then just doing an easy GPU upgrade to the GTX2080 Super Turbo or something comprable. I tried to figure out if the mobo has the 20 pin USB 3.1 Gen 2 connector that I could tap into, but haven't been able to find that answer anywhere. Admittedly, I'm also a total noob to modding my computer! Since the computer has several USB A 3.1 ports I would think it's do-able but I really have no clue.

Open to all ideas! Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
hey welcome to the forums, give it a few days as the forums is not visited by a lot of people every day, but great question 🙂

Whoopee

Thank you sir. Will be interesting to see what happens with the soon to be announced GTX 30 GPUs as well. Performance is supposed to be outstanding with half the power consumption.