cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73jh BST7 BIOS brick 211->213 with NTFS

datareen
Level 7
got a new asus g73jh today from ebay, restored it all the way, saw that bios was on 211 so i wanted 213 to avoid any problems down the road. i formatted a fat32 flash drive for it and put the bio onto it, but in EZFLASH the one on the NTFS hard drive was used. the laptop became bricked. when battery/ac adapter was in, the only response i'd get out of it would be the front I/O battery indicator being green. i did some steps from other forum threads such as holding power button, and then i went to the cmos button under the hard drive access cover on the bottom. after holding that for 30-60 seconds, not even the battery indicator gave me response, the entire computer gave no response whatsoever. i sent it in for an RMA to asus and they said they will estimate charge when they get it, but i want to know how much it would cost for reflashing, and because i did the CMOS button, making it worse, did i damage the motherboard and how much more would that cost for repair?
2 REPLIES 2

dstrakele
Level 14
Don't worry, @datareen - You didn't damage any hardware on your laptop by the failed BIOS flash. And you did good research and troubleshooting to see if you could resolve the issue yourself.

From what I've read previously, a failed BIOS flash should be covered by your ASUS Warranty. You should have no out-of-pocket expense for your issue.

ASUS Live Update sets up unknowing users for heartache by offering BIOS flash updates from NTFS, so they shouldn't fault you for the attempt.

PM Mason@ASUS on this forum if you need any assistance in setting the record straight with ASUS.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Well the laptop was out of warranty, but I feel that there could be physical damage after I tried the cmos battery. Maybe mobo got fried