cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chipset Heatsink is blocking gpu slot ???!!!!!

empleat
Level 10
I have https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-I-GAMING/ and chipset heatsink is blocking gpu slot like wtf ?????????????????????????????????
This is not even chep mobo and like name implies, it is for gaming. It doesn't make sense. Who would make mobo that heatsink blocks gpu slot ??????????????? I have 2070 super. It is completely impossible to mount, there is just no space, heatsink is overeaching and blocking pci-e slot. Or it is rather i/o shield, there are 2 screws on each side, i took them off, but part doesn't go off. It is attached to something inside. Also this i/o shield is screwed from top down and i/o shield is blocking access to screw, so it can't be even unmounted i don't think so. But i would like to heard from asus about this !

HELLO ? Can you get even answer on these forums ?

NEVER EVER BUYING ANYTHING FROM YOU AGAIN, EVEN IF IT COST 0.000000001$ It is idiocy, no one thought about that, that heatsink is blocking pci-e slot. WTF ?
5 REPLIES 5

BillBittel
Level 12
I looked at the picture on the Asus site and Wow - I see what you mean. That shield / cover juts out and is almost touching the on-board edge of the main x16 PCIe slot. I don't have a Super but I have a few older 2 or 3 fan video cards. They tend to be big and bulky and need clearance on both sides of the PCIe slots. That looks like a fundamental design flaw to me but I am not sitting in front of it.

If people can't mount common "gaming grade" GPU in that board, it seems like everyone who bought that model would be screaming on this forum and others, and there would be You Tube videos about it etc. I would Google it and see if it is a common complaint. Oh - If you think someone from Asus is going to respond to your post, they might but I seriously doubt it. They might be posting on Aura bug report threads but they seem to ignore most of this forum.

Poor component placement impacting GPU is somewhat common. On a lot of ROG boards, putting anything in the last PCIe slot or even next to last slot will block a bunch of headers and feature switches. They are constrained by the ATX spec. On the Ryzen boards with chipset fans, many of them exhaust right into the main GPU. So your GPU blocks the chipset fan exhaust path and gets a bunch of hot air aimed at it.

I wish I had a solution for you. Good luck!

Vertical mounting with a riser cable....I see a lot of that with those smaller motherboards/cases.

TheMajekalBum wrote:
Vertical mounting with a riser cable....I see a lot of that with those smaller motherboards/cases.

LMAO, i know about vertical mount, i was so consumed by the issue, that i didn't think of it. You don't know my bad luck !!! I had previously mobo with faulty socket level and cpu jumped from it like frog...
I have by the accident case that has vertical mounting, i don't like vertical. Because it has less airflow but my gpu has 3 fans and i have CM H500P with really good airflow, so it should be fine.

Thank you very much for answer !!!

Enderwiggin03
Level 7
That cooler is for the NVME drives from what I can tell, unless you have some ridiculous cooler on your 2070 Super, I dunno why you're having issues.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
That cooler is for the NVME drives from what I can tell, unless you have some ridiculous cooler on your 2070 Super, I dunno why you're having issues.

I think they are talking about the OI shield area on the bottom left being a tight fit. Though it looks like my strix 2080ti would fit without issue.