cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatible PSU for Crosshair 7

Skylab
Level 9
I need a compatible power supply for this Crosshair 7 wifi m/b I bought from you guys. My pc has a lot of RGB lighting with an Asus 2080 Super GPU to be installed. Right now I have a Gold standard psu that has lasted a while so I'd like to stay with that standard(or higher, if necessary). I dont know how to pick out whats compatible so I need help from Asus employee staff with this. Thanx in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
FYI, this forum is a customer discussion forum, not an official support forum. But you don't need ASUS to find a PSU. Generally for a single GPU system you want a good quality 600W PSU or higher. Bigger PSUs are required when running multiple GPUs, tons of hard drives, or overclocking.

Since reliability can vary between models I recommend reading reviews on any specific model to ensure there's no surprises. If a site like Amazon or Newegg doesn't have reviews then the model is generally either too new or obscure.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

just whatever is compatible.At the shops I'm seeing atx, atx12v,atx12v/eps12v (which is for servers, I think). Something to power all my RGB lighting and that big ass Asus 2080 Super GPU I ordered but mainly just whats compatible (like the title of my post stated). Manual says eatx sumthing sumthing.

You can start here:
How to Choose A Power Supply: 5 Things to Know Before Buying A PSU.

https://techguided.com/how-to-choose-a-power-supply/

Skylab wrote:
just whatever is compatible.At the shops I'm seeing atx, atx12v,atx12v/eps12v (which is for servers, I think). Something to power all my RGB lighting and that big ass Asus 2080 Super GPU I ordered but mainly just whats compatible (like the title of my post stated). Manual says eatx sumthing sumthing.

EPS 12v is an 8-pin supplementary power connector used on modern motherboards. Most boards & PSUs will have one. You are correct that some server boards require a second, additional, eps12v connector. On larger high power PSUs you may find that second connector, but for the board you selected you do not need it.

For your GPU you need 2x8pin PCIe power connectors on the PSU. These are sometimes in the form of "6+2" where 2 of the pins are detachable for GPUs with 6pin connectors.

That's really it: ATX, minimum 600w & 2x8pin PCIe. Beyond that you have many choices for efficiency rating, modular, silence focused, etc. It just depends on what you want vs how much you want to spend.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thank you for explaining that to me so simply and elegantly. I believe I am prepared to make a good decision on a proper power supply for my PC. t/c, all. all the best.