cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 - Black Screen

bld93
Level 7
I bought a ROG Zephyrus G14 a little over a week ago. So far, it's been great, except that when doing non-game related items that uses the Nvidia card, my screen randomly goes dark. There's no way to bring it back (that I can find) except to restart the laptop, and lose what I am currently working on.
I have updated all drivers to the latest ones, and am still having the same issue. There's no rhyme or reason when it occurs - it's just random.
Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions?

I have not yet reached out to Asus about this - just wanted to get ideas from the community first.

If I can't get this resolved quickly, I have to make a decision if I am just going to return the laptop before the return window closes.

Thanks for any help/input!
10 REPLIES 10

Khell
Level 7
I have the same issue, but as far as i know, it happens when fps change rapidly, when scrolling on 9gag for example or alt-tabing from Google Chrome to a zoom video conference. It might be an issue with integrated graphics and nvidia optimus or freesync

Blake1
Level 10
Dear both,
May you check of you have installed below Windows Update KB?
KB4550945
KB4549951
KB4541335
KB4551762
KB4540673
KB4535996
KB4532695
KB4532693
Please kindly remove them, and then stop the Windows update, in case they are installed back.
And let me know if the black screen issue still happen.
Thank you.

The reason is just an AMD graphic driver problem, it happens when Chrome uses HW acceleration.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG14/comments/gir8ni/black_screen_idle_power_draw_fix_megathread/

Thnks very much 

i think just 

hardware acceleration chrome= off
radeon software wait for vertical refresh= always off

is sufficient to solve problem.

Blake1
Level 10
Dear all,
The new Windows Update had been released to solve this issue.
Please check update !
Thank you,

Hello,

I have a new G14 - all updates are complete and this is still happening. Especially when using Chrome (my preferred browser since its conception).

Any advice on how to move forward or if there is another update coming? or?

PS - I tried to call support. They were USELESS - The individual was unaware of this issue. They wanted me to perform a hard reset on the laptop and to reset the bios again. I also just updated the bios to the most recent last night. I asked specifically if they had updates on this known and documented issue referencing to this post and others online. The rep was seemingly unaware and still wanted to go through the standard troubleshooting steps despite. I thanked them for their time and ended the call. I worked for Dell for years prior to them moving overseas. I understand the troubleshooting guides call center staff have available to them.

Please help and advise. I really like this laptop. I just need to know what is going on and when there may be another update to fix this issue.

Thanks much! ~ (\/)ilo

Blake1
Level 10
Hello milosrq,
If you still have black screen issue, please kindly stop auto Windows update.
Just like Wertzius said, you may disable the hardware acceleration in Chrome.
Also, please kindly remove the windows KB listed above,
double check if you have updated to BIOS 212 and chipset driver V26.20.14048.2
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-G14/HelpDesk_Download/
Thank you.

F16Falcon
Level 7
bld93 wrote:
I bought a ROG Zephyrus G14 a little over a week ago. So far, it's been great, except that when doing non-game related items that uses the Nvidia card, my screen randomly goes dark. There's no way to bring it back (that I can find) except to restart the laptop, and lose what I am currently working on.
I have updated all drivers to the latest ones, and am still having the same issue. There's no rhyme or reason when it occurs - it's just random.
Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions?

I have not yet reached out to Asus about this - just wanted to get ideas from the community first.

If I can't get this resolved quickly, I have to make a decision if I am just going to return the laptop before the return window closes.

Thanks for any help/input!

Be sure that all your screens are running at correct htz. I am using 60hz for all 3 of mine when running 3 monitors.

F16Falcon
Level 7
I also have had concerns about VR software since after all the headset is another monitor so I uninstalled everything VR related and that cleared things up for me.