cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX ROG H270F - Gigabit ethernet being capped to 100Mbps

bruno_f400
Level 7
Hi gentlemen,
I'm facing a really annoying issue with my network adapter. Recently, I upgraded my ADSL to a 240Mbps, with the ADSL Modem being replaced by the network company.

I'm using a CAT5e UTP cable to connect the red ethernet port direct to one of the ADSL modem's ethernet port, but the connection is established with 100Mbps always.

I've already tryed to update drivers, tryed to see in BIOS if there is any option to mark the gigabit option, but nothing works. I even contacted the network company, as I suspected the issue was with the ADSL Modem ports, but the guys came here with a computer equiped with a gigabit LAN adapter and using the same cable and port I'm using in mine, the network speed reached the 240Mbps I contracted. So, the problem is really in my hardware.

I really don't have any clue about why the connection is being capped by my networt adapter. When I get to the adaptor configuration in Control Panel, in the Intel I219-V properties-Advanced, on the Speed and Duplex propertie, the value assigned is Auto-negotiate, but if I click in the list box, there has the option to select manually the "1.0 Gbps/Full Duplex" value. But if I mark this value, the connection drops and Windows says the network cable is disconnected.

Do you guys have any idea about what is happening here? I know, for sure, the problem is in my hardware, but I really have absolutely no clue about how to get those 240Mpbs I'm already paying for.

If somebody can help me, I'll very glad.

Cheers,
Bruno
2 REPLIES 2

Matt_Rowen
Level 7
Hey buddy! There's no issue with the new adapter or the upgrade you did... the problem is a regular Cat5e cable cannot give you more than 100Mbps.. its like you want to fill 1 gallon of water into one glass.. Having a 240Mbps adapter would not guarantee 240Mbps speed until you upgrade to Cat6 or Cat7 ethernet cable for gaming... Although Cat8's are the latest ones but that wont be needed in your case!

Matt Rowen wrote:
Hey buddy! There's no issue with the new adapter or the upgrade you did... the problem is a regular Cat5e cable cannot give you more than 100Mbps.. its like you want to fill 1 gallon of water into one glass.. Having a 240Mbps adapter would not guarantee 240Mbps speed until you upgrade to Cat6 or Cat7 ethernet cable for gaming... Although Cat8's are the latest ones but that wont be needed in your case!

Cat 5e cable is good up to 1gb/s.