cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before forum includes the Z490?

Saltgrass
Level 13
I noticed the board is now available and just wanted to get some feedback before I purchase.. 😉
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200
10 REPLIES 10

howxcore
Level 10
Saltgrass wrote:
I noticed the board is now available and just wanted to get some feedback before I purchase.. 😉

its essentially a z390 with more pins on the socket for the processor, and better wifi as far as we know.

Saltgrass
Level 13
The Wi-Fi is just a different card but the same configuration. The AX201 is the advanced version of the9560. I do have an AX router so that would work.

It also shows as having a 5 Gb Ethernet .. Haven't seen that before but way faster than anything I can even get. I wonder if something is coming regarding Internet speeds..

As far as I can tell, there are no 10th generation processors for the board and the board itself doesn't appear to be yet for sale..

I think I saw 4k video output but that may depend on the processor..

I currently have the Z370 so I agree it may be similar to those boards, it will be an upgrade in a couple of areas. The soon to be released Win 10 20H1 build may also give it additional capabilities..

I normally replace my gaming systems every 3 to 4 years, so it is about time. Now, if Nvidia will release the next generation video card it might work out well.

Thanks for the response..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass
Level 13
They now have Pre-order on two sites for the Maximus Hero XII (Wi-Fi) and will be available May 20th @ $399.99.

That is the same day the Insiders are having a Web Cast so possibly, if we don't get the new Win 10 build today (12th) it might be here by May 19th.. I will assume the Intel 10th generation processors will also be available.

I am going to assume the Processor cooling for the LGA 1151 will still be workable on the LGA 1200 but no confirmation so far..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Processor cooling for the LGA 1151 will still be workable on the LGA 1200 but no confirmation so far..

I can confirm that for you first hand...all cooling from z390 is compatible with socket on Z490 🙂

Carlyle2020
Level 10
LGA 1151 coolers will fit LGA 1200.

I would ditch my 9900ks/Mobo since i cant exactly deactivate the one bad core it has IF the 10. Gen bios would help me out this time around.

considering heat generation and OC on air:

Disabling HT on a per-core basis is neat, but not good enough on its own considering the consumer base with big air coolers who still want to play around with an OC on a 10900k --> even if it means sacrificing cores for OC to keep temps in check and bad cores out of the OC equation.

I am talking about the thing that lets people buy stuff even if they can't cool it properly.

Like Hot Rod owners 🙂

People have those cars and people will want to OC a 10900k on air.

Best regards
People

Saltgrass
Level 13
I don't overclock but I do have a liquid cooler I wanted to use, just needed to confirm it would work with the LGA 1200. The Cooler manufacturers have not yet added the compatibility for 1200 to their listing..

The 10th generation processors will be available, starting May 20th, along with the ASUS motherboard..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
I don't overclock but I do have a liquid cooler I wanted to use, just needed to confirm it would work with the LGA 1200. The Cooler manufacturers have not yet added the compatibility for 1200 to their listing..

The 10th generation processors will be available, starting May 20th, along with the ASUS motherboard..

All 1151 coolers are compatible with socket 1200.
The physical dimensions are 100% identical.

Any incompatibility would be if someone put a cap or something someplace which blocked something and that has nothing to do with the mounting bracket.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Ok, thanks for the assurance on the cooling, I will use the one I have available.

I got a notice the 10th generation Intel processors was available for preorder. I immediately went to the site an ordered but the site kicked it out and now only auto notify is available. I suppose more folks are waiting for this than I realized.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass
Level 13
I have run into a little bit of a problem. I got a Cooler Master MasterCase H500M. I also had a Cooler Master Liquid Pro 240.. My problem is, when I assemble the liquid cooler as instructed and try to mount it in the top of the case, there is a heatsink above the Processor which extends out about 1/8th of an inch higher and interferes with the fans.

I can't seem mount it normally, so is it acceptable to change the configuration of the Liquid cooler and leave the radiator below the top panel and put the fans on top in that space. The fans will be pulling air through the radiator rather than pushing it but I see no other way to get this cooler to work.

So you know, this is the first time I have tried using a liquid cooler, so I am not that familiar with normal practices..

Thanks..

Maximus XII Hero (Wi-Fi) Z490
Trying to find an i9-10900K processor..

Edit: I had to move the cooler to the front panel. Originally, I did not think it would reach but it appears to.

As a note, just downloaded the new Win 10 build from the Media Creation tool..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200