Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 rubber pad for ROG DIMM.2

shark75
Level 7
Hi,

I found the following rubber pad in the package of the Rampage VI Omega:

Could you please tell me where I have to install this? I found only the following Information in the Manual:

I found a pre-installed pad (it seems that it's have the same size) on the DIMM.2:

But if an m.2 is installed, it has no contact...

10 REPLIES 10

Int8bldr
Level 11
shark75 wrote:
Hi,

I found the following rubber pad in the package of the Rampage VI Omega:

Could you please tell me where I have to install this? I found only the following Information in the Manual:

I found a pre-installed pad (it seems that it's have the same size) on the DIMM.2:

But if an m.2 is installed, it has no contact...

in my, experience you do not need any pads if you keep the underside M.2 heat spreader.
For instance:
1. If you keep a heat spreader on the underside of the M.2 then then pads likely are too tall and therefor put so much pressure M.2 stick, so that it actually bends upwards when you screw it on - not good.
2. Vice versa, if you take off the underside heat spreader then you may not get contact with the pad so it's useless and therefore it bends the other way when you install the cover with the thermal pads installed.
3. Last alternative is to shave down the pads exactly or find a "good enough" pad thickness (from what you have in the package) so they fit "good enough" the space between board and M.2 and have just enough contact with the M.2 not to bend it and still support it when you install the cover (with thermal pads) - but what a pain that is...

My choice was: 1. to keep the underside heat spreader and remove the pads from the board - this actually improve thermals in my case. The m.2 underside heat spreader was ridged enough to keep the stick from bending by the thermal pads when installing the cover.

tistou77
Level 13
About the ROG heatsink (Omega and Encore), someone to test the ROG heatsink and those of EKWB ?
Same result, or one is better than the other ?

Thanks
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

tistou77 wrote:
About the ROG heatsink (Omega and Encore), someone to test the ROG heatsink and those of EKWB ?
Same result, or one is better than the other ?

Thanks

The heatsinks in the DIMM.2 has two so EK wont work.
The entire cover on the R6EE is the heatsink.

As for OP I dont know what those pads are honestly not what came with mine. I got thermal pads that run the entire length and they make perfect contact. Maybe replace them with something else. Probably 1MM

BigJohnny wrote:
The heatsinks in the DIMM.2 has two so EK wont work.
The entire cover on the R6EE is the heatsink.

As for OP I dont know what those pads are honestly not what came with mine. I got thermal pads that run the entire length and they make perfect contact. Maybe replace them with something else. Probably 1MM

The rubber squares do come with all of my rog boards and there is an outline on the board saying where to place them. They give a few thickness options. I now believe they aren't necessary for at least the sticks I use. These are in addition to the thermalpads you mention which are necessary.

I've just bought an R6EE, and in the manual it say:

If your M.2 SSD does not feature a flash chip on the back, please remove the default M.2 pads on your DIMM.2 module and replace them with the bundled taller M.2 pads.

dayjob
Level 9
FYI I had a rough time removing my 960 Pro NVME after only 1 month of it being installed in this thing due to the rubber pad under it which somehow got hot enough to stick to the drive. It was going to break the drive before letting go, so I had to use a hair blow dryer on hot setting to loosen the rubber and allow me to pull the drive off. Never had this happen on others so it could be specific to my rig and placement but the rubber back simply isnt needed at all and only causes issues it seems (for full size NVME like mine). Just make sure thermalpad makes contact with the metal heatshield and that you screwed down the drive with that tiny screw.

Upon checking the health of that drive, SMART reported no issues past or present and so whatever heat it encountered didn't bother the drive.

Considering going into all my systems and removing any rubber pads under the drives since they can do this and also probably make a very hotspot on the drive in their location.

sultan_of_swing
Level 9
You really only want the thermal pad on the chip and not the memory modules.

sultan.of.swing wrote:
You really only want the thermal pad on the chip and not the memory modules.

These aren't thermal pads, they're support pads, designed to offer some resistance to the pressure of the heatsink being mounted. They go under the M.2 card to hold it up and stop it flexing when the heatsink is mounted. I don't think they're designed to transfer heat.

Grey Worm wrote:
These aren't thermal pads, they're support pads, designed to offer some resistance to the pressure of the heatsink being mounted. They go under the M.2 card to hold it up and stop it flexing when the heatsink is mounted. I don't think they're designed to transfer heat.

exactly, they are small and made out of synthetic rubber (which is an heat insulator) and difficult to get 100% right in the height give the variation of m.2 drive thickness. better to stiffen the M.2 with a slim proper heat spreader and not use these pads