New ROGer Array

76 °C at idle (ROG G752VT) reapply heat paste?

Hello

My ROG G752VT started to breath noticeably more and more often. This is just surfing the web. Doing so it's CPU reaches about 76 °C. Some ROG systems such as the G752 series is known for having a lackluster heat paste application from the factory.

I am playing with the idea of reapplying heat paste and cleaning the fans. While being in there I would swap a RAM stick from the accessible position to the one which is hidden by Asus for the case I would like to update it at a later date.

I write here to hear you opinion. Do you also think that 76 °C at idle is a tad much, or am I just sensitive?

With kind regards
    Ben

New ROGer Array PowerPein PC Specs
    PowerPein PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL504GS
    MotherboardASUS Rog Scar II
    Processori7-8750H
    Memory (part number)Kingstone hyperx 2X16 GB
    Graphics Card #1Geforce GTX 1070
    Sound CardRealtek/ USB Roccet Juke
    Monitor1080P 144 Hz
    Storage #1Toshiba SSD PCIe
    Storage #2Toshiba SATA III 2 TB
    Power Supplyoriginal
    Keyboard USB ASUS strix tactic pro
    Mouse TRUST gaming mouse
    Headset Sonic G910 7.1 vibration
    Headset/Speakers Genius GX 3000 2.1
    OS Win 10 Enterpise
    Network RouterASUS RT AC 1200 G

Quote Originally Posted by Boojakascha View Post
    Hello

My ROG G752VT started to breath noticeably more and more often. This is just surfing the web. Doing so it's CPU reaches about 76 °C. Some ROG systems such as the G752 series is known for having a lackluster heat paste application from the factory.

I am playing with the idea of reapplying heat paste and cleaning the fans. While being in there I would swap a RAM stick from the accessible position to the one which is hidden by Asus for the case I would like to update it at a later date.

I write here to hear you opinion. Do you also think that 76 °C at idle is a tad much, or am I just sensitive?

With kind regards
    Ben
    Yes, the factory paste must be replaced. If the liquid metal heat conductor does not dare to stand for it, then a premium category heat paste is also good. For me, the factory paste lasted for a week, after which I had to change it.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPein View Post
    Yes, the factory paste must be replaced. If the liquid metal heat conductor does not dare to stand for it, then a premium category heat paste is also good. For me, the factory paste lasted for a week, after which I had to change it.
    I would say it would be worth it to re-apply. I am running 76C at full load on my old G752VY. It has a modified vbios with a undervolt applied to the 980m, but still you shouldn't see those kind of temps at idle.

EDIT: It would also be worth it to blow it out. The "dust release thermal tunnel" incorporated into the heatsink can also become a collector of dust. I noticed this after I blew mine out after my son had it running for about a year.
    Last edited by MrRuckus; 06-23-2020 at 06:20 PM.
    (ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... )
    MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
    RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
    SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by MrRuckus View Post
    EDIT: It would also be worth it to blow it out. The "dust release thermal tunnel" incorporated into the heatsink can also become a collector of dust. I noticed this after I blew mine out after my son had it running for about a year.
    Thanks, MrRuckus. I de-dusted the fans when the computer originally went hot, but the problems seems to lay deeper.

In the meantime I had several thermal shut downs while playing CS:GO. On the former Asus flagship^^ I do understand planned obsolescence but come on... For many users this paste did not last a single year. I am sure non-gamers aren't as affected, but one could be tricked to think that ROG used to be the gamer product line of Asus.

I will reapply the paste next weekend.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Boojakascha View Post
    Thanks, MrRuckus. I de-dusted the fans when the computer originally went hot, but the problems seems to lay deeper.

In the meantime I had several thermal shut downs while playing CS:GO. On the former Asus flagship^^ I do understand planned obsolescence but come on... For many users this paste did not last a single year. I am sure non-gamers aren't as affected, but one could be tricked to think that ROG used to be the gamer product line of Asus.

I will reapply the paste next weekend.
    While you are repasting have a good look at how your heat sinks all of them are setting on your CPU and GPU it seems with the G752 line the heat sinks in some cases are not perfectly flat on the CPU and GPU this may be the reason that some of have not issues and other as stated earlier in this thread lasted a week. If you look back at Dreamonic post he wrote a whole thread on this. Being on several forums it seems to be conclusive that is the best safe for notebook paste is Kryonaut. only liquid metal is better and that can be hazardous to your Motherboard used incorrectly. My G752VY has no overheating problems and its almost 5 years old now. Still idles in the 30's
    Last edited by Clintlgm; 09-05-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

New ROGer Array

Factory applied paste is rubbish. I replaced mine on the first week after purchase, because of constant thermal throttling. Ever after all is good. Use a proper paste with high working temp, not the old generation ones.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    While you are repasting have a good look at how your heat sinks all of them are setting on your CPU and GPU it seems with the G752 line the heat sinks in some cases are not perfectly flat on the CPU and GPU this may be the reason that some of have not issues
    I will, thank you for the suggestion! I got some Grizzly Kryonaut for the CPU and GPU and attempt to use Silverstone pads for some of the other components that were just blobbed by the factory. Maybe a combination of the two if the gap is high.

To overcome the time until the "operation" I use a eGPU for gaming, that way the PC stays at almost idle'ish 83 degcelsius

Quote Originally Posted by AtGrigorov View Post
    Factory applied paste is rubbish. I replaced mine on the first week after purchase, because of constant thermal throttling. Ever after all is good. Use a proper paste with high working temp, not the old generation ones.
    I am glad to hear this. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.
    Last edited by Boojakascha; 09-05-2020 at 04:07 PM.

New ROGer Array

Luckily the machine survived the re-paste. It's now from it's 78 °C at idle down to 62 °C. It's not a milestone or anything, but still I very much appreciate it. I will now try to play some CS and see whether I can stay below 90 °C with settings dialed down =)

Edit:
    You may read the whole thread as "at load" and not at idle, as I discovered now I had the Windows Taskmanger/Energy Options Error, which keeps the processor at a cock hard 100 %:
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...-idle.2982072/

Now with paste and the ability to have the CPU run below 100 % the machine idles at around 50 °C, which makes me quite happy =)

While I was in there I also swapped the RAM, so that my high memory banks are in the "less accessible" positions and the 8 GB ones exposed so I could swap them easily for 16 ones if I ever wanted.
    Last edited by Boojakascha; 09-19-2020 at 04:34 PM.