cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

76 °C at idle (ROG G752VT) reapply heat paste?

Boojakascha
Level 7
Hello

My ROG G752VT started to breath noticeably more and more often. This is just surfing the web. Doing so it's CPU reaches about 76 °C. Some ROG systems such as the G752 series is known for having a lackluster heat paste application from the factory.

I am playing with the idea of reapplying heat paste and cleaning the fans. While being in there I would swap a RAM stick from the accessible position to the one which is hidden by Asus for the case I would like to update it at a later date.

I write here to hear you opinion. Do you also think that 76 °C at idle is a tad much, or am I just sensitive?

With kind regards
Ben
7 REPLIES 7

PowerPein
Level 7
Boojakascha wrote:
Hello

My ROG G752VT started to breath noticeably more and more often. This is just surfing the web. Doing so it's CPU reaches about 76 °C. Some ROG systems such as the G752 series is known for having a lackluster heat paste application from the factory.

I am playing with the idea of reapplying heat paste and cleaning the fans. While being in there I would swap a RAM stick from the accessible position to the one which is hidden by Asus for the case I would like to update it at a later date.

I write here to hear you opinion. Do you also think that 76 °C at idle is a tad much, or am I just sensitive?

With kind regards
Ben

Yes, the factory paste must be replaced. If the liquid metal heat conductor does not dare to stand for it, then a premium category heat paste is also good. For me, the factory paste lasted for a week, after which I had to change it.

PowerPein wrote:
Yes, the factory paste must be replaced. If the liquid metal heat conductor does not dare to stand for it, then a premium category heat paste is also good. For me, the factory paste lasted for a week, after which I had to change it.

I would say it would be worth it to re-apply. I am running 76C at full load on my old G752VY. It has a modified vbios with a undervolt applied to the 980m, but still you shouldn't see those kind of temps at idle.

EDIT: It would also be worth it to blow it out. The "dust release thermal tunnel" incorporated into the heatsink can also become a collector of dust. I noticed this after I blew mine out after my son had it running for about a year.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:

EDIT: It would also be worth it to blow it out. The "dust release thermal tunnel" incorporated into the heatsink can also become a collector of dust. I noticed this after I blew mine out after my son had it running for about a year.

Thanks, MrRuckus. I de-dusted the fans when the computer originally went hot, but the problems seems to lay deeper.

In the meantime I had several thermal shut downs while playing CS:GO. On the former Asus flagship^^ I do understand planned obsolescence but come on... For many users this paste did not last a single year. I am sure non-gamers aren't as affected, but one could be tricked to think that ROG used to be the gamer product line of Asus.

I will reapply the paste next weekend.

Boojakascha wrote:
Thanks, MrRuckus. I de-dusted the fans when the computer originally went hot, but the problems seems to lay deeper.

In the meantime I had several thermal shut downs while playing CS:GO. On the former Asus flagship^^ I do understand planned obsolescence but come on... For many users this paste did not last a single year. I am sure non-gamers aren't as affected, but one could be tricked to think that ROG used to be the gamer product line of Asus.

I will reapply the paste next weekend.

While you are repasting have a good look at how your heat sinks all of them are setting on your CPU and GPU it seems with the G752 line the heat sinks in some cases are not perfectly flat on the CPU and GPU this may be the reason that some of have not issues and other as stated earlier in this thread lasted a week. If you look back at Dreamonic post he wrote a whole thread on this. Being on several forums it seems to be conclusive that is the best safe for notebook paste is Kryonaut. only liquid metal is better and that can be hazardous to your Motherboard used incorrectly. My G752VY has no overheating problems and its almost 5 years old now. Still idles in the 30's
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Factory applied paste is rubbish. I replaced mine on the first week after purchase, because of constant thermal throttling. Ever after all is good. Use a proper paste with high working temp, not the old generation ones.

Clintlgm wrote:
While you are repasting have a good look at how your heat sinks all of them are setting on your CPU and GPU it seems with the G752 line the heat sinks in some cases are not perfectly flat on the CPU and GPU this may be the reason that some of have not issues

I will, thank you for the suggestion! I got some Grizzly Kryonaut for the CPU and GPU and attempt to use Silverstone pads for some of the other components that were just blobbed by the factory. Maybe a combination of the two if the gap is high.

To overcome the time until the "operation" I use a eGPU for gaming, that way the PC stays at almost idle'ish 83 degcelsius

AtGrigorov wrote:
Factory applied paste is rubbish. I replaced mine on the first week after purchase, because of constant thermal throttling. Ever after all is good. Use a proper paste with high working temp, not the old generation ones.

I am glad to hear this. Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Luckily the machine survived the re-paste. It's now from it's 78 °C at idle down to 62 °C. It's not a milestone or anything, but still I very much appreciate it. I will now try to play some CS and see whether I can stay below 90 °C with settings dialed down 😃

Edit:
You may read the whole thread as "at load" and not at idle, as I discovered now I had the Windows Taskmanger/Energy Options Error, which keeps the processor at a cock hard 100 %:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-at-100-idle.2982072/

Now with paste and the ability to have the CPU run below 100 % the machine idles at around 50 °C, which makes me quite happy 😃

While I was in there I also swapped the RAM, so that my high memory banks are in the "less accessible" positions and the 8 GB ones exposed so I could swap them easily for 16 ones if I ever wanted.