cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE XMP issues

Hinopup
Level 7
I recently replaced my Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 Motherboard with a Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE Z390 after I started experiencing what could only be described as weird behavior. I ran the CPU (I7-8700k) and RAM (CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 32GB [2x16GB] DDR4 3200MHz) in another machine without issue to test and I replaced the videocard Before replacing the motherboard. Since I installed the board I haven't seen the weird behavior but I have not been able to get the system to boot with an XMP profile enabled to get my ram to run at its 3200MHz. Now I did not Plug in the extra 4 pin power (mostly because my power supply only has the 24-pin and the 4+4 CPU power but from what I have read its only needed in extreme overclocking scenarios. Has anyone else had this issue? Any idea on how to resolve it?
5 REPLIES 5

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
asus xi code z390 here with 9900 ks @ 5.0 ghz @ 1.23v
32 gb of ( 8gb x 4 sticks ) of 4133 mhz xmp works fine . i have them @ 4200 17 17 17 34 oc .

your xmp needs tweaking or more voltage ect ?

using only 8 pin power is fine . i have both pluged in though
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

I have tried adjusting the XMP setting and manually setting voltage even going a little higher and lower. What ends up happening is the machine turns on and after a few seconds the post codes start cycling very quickly where its impossible to read them. This continues until you force turn off the machine. I have even tried putting in ram from another one of my machine and have the same problem. I am at a total loss. If you have a recommendation on a power supply with the additional 4 pin I would welcome it because It might just be time to start replacing parts.

Hinopup wrote:
I have tried adjusting the XMP setting and manually setting voltage even going a little higher and lower. What ends up happening is the machine turns on and after a few seconds the post codes start cycling very quickly where its impossible to read them. This continues until you force turn off the machine. I have even tried putting in ram from another one of my machine and have the same problem. I am at a total loss. If you have a recommendation on a power supply with the additional 4 pin I would welcome it because It might just be time to start replacing parts.

Hello,

Memory parameters vary from vendor to vendor. You may want to try both Maximus Tweak Modes 1 and 2 as well as both XMP 1 and 2 profiles to see whether this remedies the instability.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Hello,

Memory parameters vary from vendor to vendor. You may want to try both Maximus Tweak Modes 1 and 2 as well as both XMP 1 and 2 profiles to see whether this remedies the instability.

Thanks Silent Scone, Actually already tried this with the same effect.

As an update to this. I Ordered a power cable for my power supply to be able to plug in the 4-pin overclocking CPU power. Turns out you do need the additional power even for XMP with no CPU overclocking. What a headache this has been. Glad its resolved.