cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Asus Rampage V Edition 10 Dead CPU. What Happens to RAID Disks??

Pilot_Guy
Level 7
Hello all. Fist time with any real issues on this build and first for the last couple of PC builds. Computer is about 4 years old, with a I7 6900K CPU. Had the computer running all day. Think I was watching a YouTube video. The computer just shut off. Tried turning it on again. Nothing. Got the 00 Q code listing. Also had the Q CPU led light on.

Tried Swapping the ram. Going down to one stick. Didn't help. Swapped out graphics card. Swapped out power supply's. Still had the CPU light. Swapped to the second bios chip. Still no help. Flashed the bios. Nope. So I'm thinking the CPU is gone. Tried the safe boot. Still 00 Q code and nothing on the screen.

Unless someone out there has something else I can try. I think the CPU is dead. I don't have a way to test the cpu in another motherboard.

I do have a Raid array running. It's Raid 10 with 4 drives. I want the data off the drives.

So here is the real question. Is the only way to get that data. The striped data 1/2 on one set of drives and 1/2 on the other. Do I need to get this motherboard running with a new CPU. Is that the only way to get the data off the drives? Is there another way to merge the data back to something usable? Can I buy another newer motherboard with internal raid 10 and have it see my data? Is there some hard drive tool that will merge the data? I have a new cheap CPU coming soon. I'm really hoping that's the problem.

Thanks for the help.
7 REPLIES 7

Amerifaxx
Level 7
Your computer went down during general usage. Mine was a complete hardware install. Long story short.

Rampage V Edition 10 same CPU
My problem was the video card. But it could not be the video card. I did all the checks. But it was the card. I tried to reinstall the card and then saw an issue that can not be. I snapped it in and set the front screws nice and tight. I then took a mirror, to see down under the card, and discovered that the card pins were not seated right. The back end of the card was down as it should be. But the front end was almost out of the PCIe slot. As I said the screws were down tight. Long story short I bent the tab that holds the screws up and out of the way so it would seat down as it should. Many lost days on this one but I'm now up and running.

Maybe, who knows, will not hurt to check the video card.

I also have a Raid that needs data recovery. Raid5
Bob

Unfortunately mine was not the video card. Not only did I have the Q CPU light on. I ended up getting a really cheap Xeon chip. It worked! Unfortunately getting a new 6900K would be around 700bucks. That's right around the price for a 4 generation newer, 10'th gen CPU. So I didn't want to put the money into this. I just wanted my data back.

So the good thing is that once I put new CPU in. Well it worked. I have a 4 disk raid 10 array. With flashing the bios. I did have to turn that back on in the bios. So all the data was there. it did have to do a re-initialization. That took about 12 hours. Then I have it verify the data, that was another 12 hrs. I think the key thing is that what ever raid you use. Might be tied to the raid controller chip. I don't think that I could have just put my 4 drives into lets say a brand new motherboard with a different controller chip. I'm not sure on that.

With your Raid 5 array. I would think that you would have to not only turn raid on in the Bios. But that you would have to plug in the drives on the same ports. If there not on the same ports the controller, I think. Will just look at it all as garbage data. That is just the jest of what I have been getting with people rebuilding raids and NAS raid boxes. There might be an option on initial boot. When the raid screen comes up. You can press control I to get into that. It might be able to tell you the drive order and what ports. That should allow you to redefine the drive order.

It was my understanding that raid 5 needs at lest 3 disks? I thought the only 2 drive systems were raid 0 (striping) and raid 1 (mirroring). If it's a mirror you should just be able to pull the data off either drive. A stripe will have to be re-initialized through the bios and raid controller.

Best of luck.

Amerifaxx
Level 7
Thanks for the feedback.
Question: Did you hook up the SupremeFX. I never did. Now four years later I'm trying to connect. I have the USB figured out but not the PCIe cable. I have a PCIe cable that fits the Supreme Box. The other end is a SATA connection. I'm figuring on hooking up the SATA to another SATA that leads from the Power Supply. What do you think?
Bob

PS Have you ever used the second BIOS. The red button in the bottom right corner? It acts like a toggle switch between the 2 BIOS.

Amerifaxx
Level 7
>>Computer is about 4 years old, with a I7 6900K CPU. I had the computer running all day. Think I was watching a YouTube video. The computer just shut off<<
I failed to mention I had the same problem. After several hours on the computer, I could expect, not always, a shutdown. I'm running the same CPU that you're running. I would not give up on the CPU yet. What version of the BIOS are you running? I'm running version 2.17.1246. I'm currently doing some serious reading on the bias update. I'm also trying to read up on the causes of the memory for. Here is one of a couple places you might want to consider:
Memory: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/HelpDesk_QVL/
Version -
2017/02/17 update 452.48 KBytes
X99 Series DRAM QVL for i7 69xx/68xx processors.

I'm not sure that I have a hardware issue with my system and I believe you also might want to reconsider.
Bob

Amerifaxx
Level 7
>>Computer is about 4 years old, with a I7 6900K CPU. I had the computer running all day. Think I was watching a YouTube video. The computer just shut off<<
I failed to mention I had the same problem. After several hours on the computer, I could expect, not always, a shutdown. I'm running the same CPU that you're running. I would not give up on the CPU yet. What version of the BIOS are you running? I'm running version 2.17.1246. I'm currently doing some serious reading on the bias update. I'm also trying to read up on the causes of the memory for. Here is one of a couple places you might want to consider:
Memory: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/HelpDesk_QVL/
Version -
2017/02/17 update 452.48 KBytes
X99 Series DRAM QVL for i7 69xx/68xx processors.

I'm not sure that I have a hardware issue with my system and I believe you also might want to reconsider.
Bob

Yeah, my system would never restart. So it wasn't something just getting hot. Or getting a bad memory block. No bluescreen. Just power suddenly off. Generally leads me to believe that something catastrophic happened. I did try both bios units. No help there. I downloaded the latest from Asus. Flashed an upgrade still no help. System is working now. Seems like the CPU was my weak link. All my old components are back in place. So....... Nothing has changed except the CPU.

I do have the SupremeFX hooked up. Sounds great. Way to go Asus for taking about a year and a half to actually support the thing. Now you can just download the drivers and it works. That was not the case when this board came out. Rather annoying. It just needs the new drivers from Asus. There is a little internal USB cable to connect it to the motherboard. Then it just needs the power from the power supply. It really sounds good with good headphones.

Amerifaxx
Level 7
I'm just about up and running on a system that I was almost giving upon. I had the following issues:

1. Power Supply
2. Memory
3. Video Card
4. And Me (Probably the biggest problem).

The Rampage V Edition 10
Corsair - 8 Sticks CMD64GX4M8A2400C14, 64gb(8x8gb), 2400MHz, 14-16-16-31, ver 4.23
Corsair - Power Supply HX850I
iNTEL - i7-6950x
BIOS: 1801
Graphics Card: Asus DirectCUII Strix GTX980, DC20C, 4GD5
Samsung - M.2 V-NAND SSD 950 Pro (Holds Windows 10 Pro)
Samsung - 2 SSD 840 Pro 128gb (Raid)
VanTec - EZ Swap 5 Hot-Swap Bays, M3500 (Holds 5 Seagate BarraCuda Pro HD's, 3-8tb & 2-6tb.
Case: Cool Master Storm Trooper (Tower)

Yet to Install
Asus - SupremeFX Hi-Fi
Startech - X4 PCIe 3.0 to M.2, PCIe NVMe SSD Adapter

I don't know your knowledge level with the MOBO. Some of the things that helped me, the led lights in the upper right area of the mobo.

Manual - Check This:
[Memory 1-13 Item 8, LED to the left of the switch.
CPU, VGA, DRAM, BOOT - Page 1-17 Item 5

Why do you think it's the CPU?

I have been working on this Rampage V Edition 10 for about one month. I also have a Rampage V extreme, in a separate computer case, Cool Master Trooper. This was a help for a look back.
Bob