cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504 - fan at the right side working almost all the time

wordplay
Level 7
Hi all, I have this laptop for over a year now. A few days ago it started being loud, I realized that the fan at the right side is working almost all the time. I checked task manager and resources, everything looks normal - CPU, GPU, RAM... Not sure what's this on my last screenshot:

Any ideas what can I do to get a quiet laptop while it's idle?
3 REPLIES 3

chaugh
Level 7
a lot of us have the same issue, don't think there is a fix.
I've tried everything from undervolting, repasting and padding the memory and VRMs, issues comes back eventually.

You can try a RMA as a last resort.

PowerPein
Level 7
wordplay wrote:

Any ideas what can I do to get a quiet laptop while it's idle?

Probe tips here this post: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104242-Strix-SCAR-II-GL504GS-Fan-Question-Stuck-on-High-fo...
Scroll down, I showing photos the GPU fan's connector found.

And last page i writed: What else I tried: I put aluminum tape on the video card fan connection wire. A ground cover closest to a connector is routed to a mounting screw (with a unique aluminum tape). The healthy one was insulated in a circle with a thin Teflon tape. Since then, the video card fan speed control has become much better.
But you need better thermal paste replacement. I used liquid metal thermal conductive. But normal premiumpaste used it's good (expample: ThermalGrizzly Kryonaut).

I think these may be causing the problem: bad thermalpaste used, fans mechanikal not cleaning evry 3-4 months, fan connector not fix, statical elektrik interferes with the fan's transmitter, windows DPTF_Intel_CFL_W10_64_V84105016067 driver needed (this driver can downloading on support center).

Win 10 can automatic BIOS update used.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello worldplay,
Was there any update or modification before the issue occurred?
Please kindly update BIOS to the latest version.
Thank you.