cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows stutters & failing to restart or shutdown.

MOUTIN
Level 7
Hello,

I bought a new setup around August last year and I had an experienced friend build it for me.

Problems already started occurring in November where my Windows wouldn't update properly and I had to do full reset every time a bigger update came around.

Then in January CS:GO started acting up with barely noticeable stutters to pretty heavy ones which made it pretty much unplayable.

Looked around for different settings to change in the Nvidia Control Panel to turning off core 0 in task manager.
Feel like I pretty much tested every single tip & trick on google.

Didn't really encounter any issues in other games as far as I noticed.

Now, since March everything started going downhill with this beast of a computer, I fully reinstalled Windows but as soon as I started installing drivers it would stutter up and not reboot properly.

If I want to restart it will stay on the restarting screen and with the wheel spinning forever until eventually I end up with a blue screen with the stop code: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.

If I want to shutdown my monitor goes black as if the PC shuts off but it keeps running like its just idling.

Maybe its worth noting that I also used Oculus Rift S on this PC where I had to go through some steps to make it not hiccup in games (like changing USB power settings etc)

But these issues i'm having persist even now after another full reinstall without internet and only installing nvidia drivers and asus armoury crate for drivers and only connecting mouse & keyboard.
Everything is set to default in BIOS.

I also had another tech savvy friend have a look and he couldn't find any hardware failure although he didn't get to look at the SSDs yet. He mentioned this could point towards an issue with the power supply.

Specs below:

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG Strix
Corsair Hydro H115i PRO
Corsair RM750x
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz 16GB
Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB M.2 SSD
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD

As you can probably understand this issue is driving me nuts considering the money spent on this PC.

Any help is very much appreciated and I hope I posted this in the correct place,

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

AS185
Level 10
In the Power Options menu from Windows choose as a preferred plan High Performance. Press Change Plan Settings and adjust additional settings so they are maxed out. Save & reboot. Test the system while gaming. Perform a simple test by changing the screen option to sleep mode. It's located in Power & Sleep. Mark 2 minutes and test.
Make sure you connected all of the power connectors, including the EATX's.

(1) Get DDU and safemode uninstall your graphics drivers. Then re-install the last nvidia driver. Reboot. (could also, just uninstall and then use check box custom install then clean install tick box in nvidia drivers)

(2) Can you install the latest AMD chipset drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

(3) Can you check your running the latest bios (1408) https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-E-Gaming/HelpDesk_BIOS/

(4) Can you confirm placement of RAM is in slots 2 & 4 from the cpu.

(5) Can you confirm 3600 DDR4 is running DOCP profile to hit 3600 speed and you did not simply select 3600.

(6) Then run as admin [powershell] (type into search bar, when you see it pop up, right click on it and run as admin)

sfc /scannow

wait till complete
now run (still in powershell)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

wait till complete

if either found and fix integrity errors or corruptions, reboot and then repeat both steps in powershell again. This fixes anything damaged in windows 10 install, critical to it working correctly.

It's to early at this stage to claim PSU, driver state failure can be caused from other hardware, overclocking / and software. The above will knock out software and if still present we will look at hardware.

(7) What monitor are you running ?

Nice system btw.

Hope you find this of help.

Hey guys,

So first of all thanks for the replies, but it seems I managed to fix the issue.

I did another fresh reinstall with Windows 10 with a new legit key where I also deleted every partition etc. and wiped them clean.
I haven't managed to recreate the problem yet with the most consistent way I could before, I even tried installing iCue which was the worst with this issue and still nothing pops up.
Maybe there were some deep rooted issues in the previous Windows install, I don't know 🙂

Had some problems setting up proper RGB with iCue but I think thats just the software along with ASUS.

Asus 27" LED G-Sync ROG Swift PG278QR is the monitor i've got if you were curious.

So far so good, i'm gonna try installing the Oculus Rift S again and see if that changes anything.

Thanks,

Martin