cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VI Hero boot error code CC and C8 (repeating steps 14 and 15)

Reaverman
Level 7
CONFIGURATION
MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600, BOX cooler
Overclocking: no
BIOS: latest
RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB KIT DDR4 2400MHz CL15 FURY
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 960
SSD: Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB (M.2)
Power: Corsair TX750M
OS: Win 10 Home, latest update, it's the only OS on the drive

ISSUE DESCRIPTION
Long cold boot (40-50s) -> onboard LED shows the pre-POST boot is stuck on states 14 and 15 for a long time, then throws error CC and C8
This repeats a few times, then boot continues to POST.
I was not able to find errors CC and C8 anywhere online or in the operations manual.

VIDEO OF ISSUE

MITIGATIONS TRIED WITHOUT SUCCESS
- BIOS update
- CMOS reset
- all hardware removed except for essentials
- RAM to different slots, only 1 stick, tried all slots with both sticks
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12
CC - Invalid CMOS jumper setting code
C8 - IDK
14 - Pre-memory CPU initialization is started
15 - Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started

14 & 15 doesn't really matter as moves past them.

The advice given for CC is
Push the switch down on the back of the motherboard . under the mouse and keyboard connector.if its up then its in clear cmos mode and wont boot.

Source is http://www.asusqcodes.com/index.php?inputCode=CC

Not likely to be ram issue.

Many thanks for your reply!

RedSector73 wrote:
CC - Invalid CMOS jumper setting code
C8 - IDK
14 - Pre-memory CPU initialization is started
15 - Pre-memory System Agent initialization is started

14 & 15 doesn't really matter as moves past them.

Thanks, I thought 14-15 may be related because they are displayed for a considerably longer time than any other Q-LED code.

The advice given for CC is
Push the switch down on the back of the motherboard . under the mouse and keyboard connector.if its up then its in clear cmos mode and wont boot.

I'm afraid I do not understand this advice. Which switch? There is no switch under the mouse and key connector, only above - the one with CMOS text. I used it to reset CMOS but no luck. Also, my computer boots in the end, it just takes a lot of time.

Source is http://www.asusqcodes.com/index.php?inputCode=CC

This link does not work for me, it says Site Not Found

If your computer eventually boots than it is not throwing an error. The amount of time it takes can indicate something is up. I want to test something. Pull your soundcard out and see if boots much more quickly. let me know if this makes it faster or does nothing.

RedSector73 wrote:
If your computer eventually boots than it is not throwing an error. The amount of time it takes can indicate something is up. I want to test something. Pull your soundcard out and see if boots much more quickly. let me know if this makes it faster or does nothing.

As I mentioned in my original post, I tried removing all non-essential hardware (including the sound card) but there was no effect.