cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming, error Q-code displays 0d and Q-LED for DRAM ligths up

Simplex
Level 7
I have a new build computer with the following hard ware…..

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
BIOS: Version 1408
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X
RAM: G.Skill Trident F4-3200C14D-32GTZR
(Kingston KVR24E17S8/8)
GPU: 2XNvidia GTX1070

M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus
M.2 Samsung 860 EVO

The problem is that when I try to start the computer I end up with a black screen.
The motherboard Q-code displays 0d which according to the manual stands for ”Reserver for future AMI SEC codes” and the Q-LED for DRAM ligths up with a steady light.

I have reset the CMOS and tried with a different memmory but I still get the same error.

Any ideas on what might cause this problem and what to do next?
26 REPLIES 26

RedSector73
Level 12
How are you cooling this ?
If you have custom bracket did you put it on correctly (some custom backing plates have protective tape that should face the board or otherwise can be installed backwards) or if possible did you over tighten the screws as either can cause this error.

Did you connect the ATX Power top left of the board (above cpu) must have 8 pin for that chip but I would have both hooked up if you can. Also check it's properly plugged in up there.

The ram needs to be in slots 2 & 4 from the CPU. (check it is seated properly as well) You could also try 1 stick only in slot 2 or 4 and than the other as a single to see if either have an is the issue. Single you could also try 1 or 3 but this second channels.

If none of this helps, then post back and will post some other ideas.

PS An 8d issue at this stage can be caused from stuff above. Hardware wise typically RAM, the CPU itself, or DOA board. Can be hard to trouble shoot this one as there is noramly three hardware causes and the stuff covered above (unless missed something .... it very late / early morning here)

8d when your overclocking means oops went to far and training of ram / cpu initialization failed. hit bios reset and try less aggressive settings.

Be back on tomorrow or someone else maybe able to help you out in the meantime. Hope you get it sorted 😉

RedSector73 wrote:
If you have custom bracket did you put it on correctly (some custom backing plates have protective tape that should face the board or otherwise can be installed backwards) or if possible did you over tighten the screws as either can cause this error.

I actually using the orignal bracket on the board but a custom spring holder that gives centered load on the water block.

Did you connect the ATX Power top left of the board (above cpu) must have 8 pin for that chip but I would have both hooked up if you can. Also check it's properly plugged in up there.

Yes. It is connected as it should be.

The ram needs to be in slots 2 & 4 from the CPU. (check it is seated properly as well) You could also try 1 stick only in slot 2 or 4 and than the other as a single to see if either have an is the issue. Single you could also try 1 or 3 but this second channels.

I have found that the computer starts and I get to the BIOS screen just fine and it stays stable with no issue if I use the memory stick in slot B1 or B2 and it also works if I have both memory sticks plugged in to slot B1 and B2 at the same time.

If none of this helps, then post back and will post some other ideas.

PS An 8d issue at this stage can be caused from stuff above. Hardware wise typically RAM, the CPU itself, or DOA board. Can be hard to trouble shoot this one as there is noramly three hardware causes and the stuff covered above (unless missed something .... it very late / early morning here)

8d when your overclocking means oops went to far and training of ram / cpu initialization failed. hit bios reset and try less aggressive settings.

Be back on tomorrow or someone else maybe able to help you out in the meantime. Hope you get it sorted 😉

No. The error code I get is 0d and that occur when a memory stick is plugged in slot A1 or A2.

At least I can get the sucker up and running now 🙂

Glad you got it booting, just listed out yesterday all the different things I know of that can cause it, figured you would go through all that and find the cause. Well done.

This means your RAM is failing basic training for default RAM training in dual channel. The RAM should be in A2 and B2 (slots 2 & 4 from cpu), check there is no dust or foreign matter in the dim slots. If cant fault the board than I would conduct some testing of the ram itself.

RedSector73 wrote:
Glad you got it booting, just listed out yesterday all the different things I know of that can cause it, figured you would go through all that and find the cause. Well done.

This means your RAM is failing basic training for default RAM training in dual channel. The RAM should be in A2 and B2 (slots 2 & 4 from cpu), check there is no dust or foreign matter in the dim slots. If cant fault the board than I would conduct some testing of the ram itself.

As I have written before, the ram sticks works just fine when used in dimm slot B1 and B2 and if I put a stick in A1 or A2 I end up with a black screen and the Q-LED for DRAM lights up with a steady light so as fare I can tell it looks like the memory sticks are fine, the error seams to be located to the B-slots, motherboard or CPU.

I have try to vacuum clean the DIMM slots and can not spot any object in the B-slots and the error remains.

EDIT: Any information regarding the Q-code 0d and 0c? The manual only says that this codes are ”Reserver for future AMI SEC codes”

Simplex wrote:
EDIT: Any information regarding the Q-code 0d and 0c? The manual only says that this codes are ”Reserved for future AMI SEC codes”

That is all the information I have for you. I'm sorry it is not here this fixes it. 'OD' & 'OC' are both as you mentioned 'Reserved for future AMI SEC codes'

From your last post thinking RAM sounds ok, might be board or cpu. I have seen an equal blame ratio on all three hardware components, so not sure which way, you should go, maybe ask purchase shop to test out the components to help you to determine which needs RMA or ask a friend with a working system to help?

On the flip side that going to a monster machine when you get it going.

RedSector73 wrote:
That is all the information I have for you. I'm sorry it is not here this fixes it. 'OD' & 'OC' are both as you mentioned 'Reserved for future AMI SEC codes'

From your last post thinking RAM sounds ok, might be board or cpu. I have seen an equal blame ratio on all three hardware components, so not sure which way, you should go, maybe ask purchase shop to test out the components to help you to determine which needs RMA or ask a friend with a working system to help?

On the flip side that going to a monster machine when you get it going.

Thank you for trying RedSector73.
I think I will try to install the OS on the computer now despite running single channel on RAM, it truly SUCKS but I am to lacy to take everything apart again for the 2'n time.

RedSector73 wrote:
... if possible did you over tighten the screws as either can cause this error.

Sorry for digging up a two-year-old post, but the screws on my mounting kit allow for quite a tight fit. I can tighten them slightly, and the PC won't post (it will turn on) with the '0d' error , but if I untighten them slightly, the PC boots normally. All of this is hand-tightening.

Is this normal behaviour? Will overtightening (once) cause permanent damage?
AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
ASUS ROG Strix B550-E (the worst motherboard I've owned in 25 years)
Corsair H150i Pro XT 360mm
32GB Corsair VENGEANGE LPX 3600MHz CL18
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Hybrid w/ 280mm radiator
M.2 WD 1TB SN550 | 2 * WD Blue 1TB SATA | 2 * Toshiba N300 8TB | 400TB on a 48-bay Supermicro server
Corsair RM850X
Fractal Meshify 2
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro

Simplex
Level 7
Thank you RedSector73
I have custom bracket for the CPU water block, was hoping for a fix without taking everything apart.

EDIT: I have used the same mounting for the water block on an old FX-8350 for years with no problem .

The manual states that if I use 1 memory stick I should put it in slot A2 but I decided to try to put it in B2 instead and now it works just fine with just 1 stick.
When I try to put memory modules in both A2 and B2 the error comes back so I guess that it might be something wrong with slot A2?