cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coil whine on asus rog strix 2080 super advanced edition

CatholacMango
Level 7
So I just got a new gpu which is the asus rog strix 2080 super advanced and out of the box it has coil whine. I tried different games and the coil whine is definitely there. It's really getting into me considering the fact that I paid 1k plus for a high end premium gpu and just ended up having to deal with this issue? Any fix is very much appreciated
3 REPLIES 3

RedSector73
Level 12
Coil whine can also be caused by your PSU and/or your cable management. Consider what PSU your using and how old is it. These items can cause the noise your hearing as well.

If you have spare PSU might be worth trying it first to see if noise stops.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Coil whine and its severity is hit or miss. If you have the ability return it and get another. If not then RMA is a waste of time with ASUS. Not only does it take forever and a year you get back an item that may be a refurb or your original item back with no issues found or your original item back with cosmetic damage with no changes because it was tossed in a bin with no regard for protection.

I have a pair of 2080Tis with sequential serials. One has minor coil whine and the other nothing. The one that does I have to have my case open and be listening carefully to hear it. It has no effect on performance and with my case closed up I hear nothing.

mattpunx90
Level 8
CatholacMango wrote:
So I just got a new gpu which is the asus rog strix 2080 super advanced and out of the box it has coil whine. I tried different games and the coil whine is definitely there. It's really getting into me considering the fact that I paid 1k plus for a high end premium gpu and just ended up having to deal with this issue? Any fix is very much appreciated

Hi mate. I came to bring you a solution that worked for me on Scar 2 model.
If your issue (and everyone that owns one of the thousands Asus devices with this annoying issue) is caused by ACPI C-states power management, then there is a way you can disable C1E, C2, and C3 states to stop the high pitch noise.

I'll leave you a link on how to do it using a CMD command and Throttlestop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKjw-uShTlo

Hope it works for you too