cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith II Extreme Alpha Chipset Temp 80-90C All the time?

nyxagamemnon
Level 7
Is this temp a worry? everything works fine but I have all m.2 slots occupied the Dimm.2 2 GPU's and all PCIE slots used. Fan is constantly running Ambients are up since it's summer hovers 25-30C range.
14 REPLIES 14

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
nyxagamemnon wrote:
Is this temp a worry? everything works fine but I have all m.2 slots occupied the Dimm.2 2 GPU's and all PCIE slots used. Fan is constantly running Ambients are up since it's summer hovers 25-30C range.

Do you have active arflow over the area?....i.e. afan pointed at the general area?

Is that reading accurate?

nyxagamemnon
Level 7
The temp is from the sensor. no there isn't a fan pointed over the chip set other than the fan from the motherboard. Case is an open air design.

nyxagamemnon wrote:
The temp is from the sensor. no there isn't a fan pointed over the chip set other than the fan from the motherboard. Case is an open air design.

my system is in a phanteks tower and I’m getting 45-55degrees for chipset temps

The board fan is running silently but the 2 small vrm fans have never spun up yet.

Threadripper 3970x
Zenith 2 extreme alpha board
128gb Corsair Rgb 3200 ram (4X32gb sticks)
2x 2tb pci-e gen 4 nvme firecuda 520 drives on m.2 slot 1 and slot 2
Nvidia 2080ti founders card
Corsair 115i platinum aio*

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Use latest HWiNFO and check the PCH temp...if it's still that high RMA the board

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Use latest HWiNFO and check the PCH temp...if it's still that high RMA the board

If I boot up and go into the bios within a few seconds the pch temp is 60c and climbing. However if I point an ir gun at the chipset fan or five the temp is nowhere near 60c .

The system is fully water cooled and I need it can't sit around waiting for weeks for a board I'd need an advanced rma . The chipset fan is on none stop and to be honest it's pissing me off with it's noise. So given the fact that I don't know if it's a faulty sensor or it's running that hot actually. The it gun. On the. Cover is no where near close to the temps the sensor is reporting. To replace the motherboard it's going to be a pain dismantling two. Loops removing rebuilding . I need a 100% answer before I go down this route. And the constant boot loop startups with the new bioses aren't exact fun. Either .

Yeah I'm starting to believe the temp sensor is faulty, I touched the chip set area it's barley warm to the touch as indicated by the IR gun itself. So What now?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
my pch registers 53 degress and the fan is never spinning except at startup

If you press the chipset cover with a finger....anything change?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
my pch registers 53 degress and the fan is never spinning except at startup

If you press the chipset cover with a finger....anything change?

I barley managed to get a finger in there it's between (two gpu's). given the fact there's a seperate finned heatsink under the cover plate what would pushing it down accomplish? Your thinking if there isn't proper contact on the heatsink below ?. My only other thought is the nvme drive on the back of the board hearing up the area and causing the sensor to falsely read the temps , depending on where it is . Gotta love autocorrect..

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, I was wondering if there was an obvious contact problem....but fair enough...I get it's difficult to get to with 2 GPUs

I don't think an NVME drive would do that much heating...but low airflow back there for sure

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yes, I was wondering if there was an obvious contact problem....but fair enough...I get it's difficult to get to with 2 GPUs

I don't think an NVME drive would do that much heating...but low airflow back there for sure

Well I mean the NVME drive is sandwiched between the Case and motherboard since it's in the back of the board. It runs 50-60C it's a WD SN720 2TB I didn't want to put a gen 4 drive behind it rest are Gen 4 in the front and Dimm.2 So I'm not sure what's going on right now around 26C ambient the Chipset temp is saying it's 97C. If I take an IR gun to that area it's max 40C. Is the drive behind it heating it up is that the culprit? Others are saying all M.2 Populated no issues but do they have the actual M.2 On the rear populated?