cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6EE front and some back ports fail to recognize USB3.2 Gen 2, work fine with USB 2.0

rosefire
Level 7
I have two USB 3.2 Gen 2 SSD and Two USB 3.2 Gen 2 HDD that work perfectly on the red rear USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 connector, but getting them recognized by both front and rear USB 3.2 Gen 2 and Gen 1 ports is more miss than hit. Other symptoms:

-- All ports work perfectly with all my USB 2.0 devices.

-- The LED on the smaller of my HDD doesn't illuminate on the blue 3.2 Gen 1 and ports, but illuminates nicely on the red USB Gen 2x2 on the back of the PC. It is is sometimes recognized if connected prior to boot, except...

-- If my USB HDDs are connected on the front connectors, the boot process sometimes hangs on "Detecting HDD", and continues instantly if one or both is disconnected (not consistent).

Other things I've tried:
- Reverting to BIOS Optimized Defaults had no effect.
- Reverted back to original BIOS made no difference.
- Reinstalling Windows USB drivers had no effect (ASUS ASMedia USB drivers are not posted for download for the R6EE).

I believer the problem is most likely due to a low voltage from an on-board 5V regulator supplying ASMedia USB ports. The USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 is probably a high current port with its own voltage regulator.

Any other ideas/suggestions before I send this board back to Amazon? ...Again

-Keith
Future PicPlatform.......Rampage VI Extreme Encore / i9-10940x
Memory.........G.Skill F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR 32GB Kit
Graphics ......Radeon Pro Vega 56
Boot Drive.....2X Intel 380GB, 905P M.2 SSD
Storage........2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 SSD
Cooling........MCP355 Pump, Swiftech SKF Block, EK360 60mm Radiator

4 REPLIES 4

G75rog
Level 10
Do the HDD's have provisions for external power?

rosefire
Level 7
Good question. I think I know what you're driving at and i think you're on the right track. The HDDs are a Seagate STGX4000400 (4Tb) and STGX2000400 (2TB) external backup type with nothing but a detachable USB cable. Today I'm going to measure the voltage using one of those $15 USB port testers I grabbed on Amazon a few years back. It will tell me if the voltage is low, though it won't tell me if the voltage is unstable, noisy, or has a problem such as high switching regulator ripple.

BigJohnny
Level 13
I have found them to be hit or miss myself. The ports closer to the top seem to be more reliable for me and its not just drives. The main device I use is to a POWERED usb hub that sits on my desktop. Sometime just unplugging it and plugging it back in works. Ive just started with this board doing boxtop benches and now installing it in a case. Im going to dig deeper later into this.........https://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-Drivers-original-and-modded.html

BigJohnny wrote:
I have found them to be hit or miss myself.[/url]

What exactly are you finding hit and miss? The ports on a R6EE?

When I've designed USB port electronics that provide power to USB loads, I usually use a very tightly regulated voltage regulator at 5.2V to assure a lot of headroom.

I bought a USB port tester to see if I can diagnose the problem with my board to root cause before the replacement comes. Ugh. replacing that board is going to take a few hours. This one has a very fast memory controller , too. It's running 4x8GB sticks at 4000MHz without any voltage tweaks. I have not tried overclocking the CPU yet.

-K