cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Questions new build... appreciate any help

rageaster
Level 7
Hey guys, I figured I'd come on here because you all are way more knowledgeable on these matter than ASUS support is (sadly).

My first question is I've noticed the white LED on my ROG Strix 570-E board just randomly turns on and stays on from time to time. Looking at other posts on this forum everyone seems to have the same consensus... if everything works fine than don't sweat it. Thing is this is a new build and it really concerns me. Is this a BIOS issue or maybe a defective GPU? I have the ASUS Strix 2080 ti OC

2nd question is when I first went to boot my new PC I noticed it wouldn’t start. All I got were two flashing red lights on the GPU. I couldn’t find a fix for this so I decided to just try and check the connections and what not. Well that’s what I did... then magically everything just turned on the second time I tried to boot it.

Ok so at this point I thought maybe there was a loose connection or something. This was a few days ago. Everything was working fine... then I did some cable management and I had the same issue after replugging everything back in. What's weird is the computer turned on just fine then I went to shut down the computer and boom here comes those flashing red lights on the GPU again. The computer won’t turn on so I decided to unplug the USB type C connector from mobo to try that. BOOM that made the computer boot. At this point you’re probably thinking like I am that it’s the USB port or something right? Well I shut down the computer and plugged in the USB Type C cable into the motherboard and I get those flashing red lights on the GPU again. Again the computer won’t boot. So I decided let me unplug and replug the GPU power cables and check that. That solved the issue.

At this point with the GPU possibly causing the white LED on the motherboard, and it seeming to short the board from time to time do I have a faulty GPU? It's been working just fine last couple days I haven't touched anything... thinking about running 3D Mark... is there anything I should test for specifically to check if this card is faulty?
4 REPLIES 4

rageaster
Level 7
Just an update, looks like If I start PC with the monitor off the white LED on motherboard stays on during boot... why is this stuff so buggy? I've never had so many issues using other products.

Well, if the VGA white led doesn't do any harm to your system, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I think you should just boot without the USB-type C connection for VR. If the system is fully functional and you can use the VR within Windows without a problem, you shall maintain that idea. I'm assuming you are receiving a signal by HDMI or DP without any issues?

AS185 wrote:
Well, if the VGA white led doesn't do any harm to your system, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I think you should just boot without the USB-type C connection for VR. If the system is fully functional and you can use the VR within Windows without a problem, you shall maintain that idea. I'm assuming you are receiving a signal by HDMI or DP without any issues?

Hey man thanks for the response didn't think anyone would even try to help so def big thank you. So after playing around in the BIOS I turned on CSM, compatibility support module, and the issue seems to be completely gone. No white LED staying on if I reboot with monitor off and what not. Super strange I know, I even asked ASUS support about it but of course they had no idea. They wanted me to RMA my video card... lol that's always their solution. I also noticed I didn't have secure boot on (I guess I didn't turn it on after my install on the Nvme drive) but that wasn't conflicting anything because I left it onl and turned on CSM just to make sure it was CSM and it was. Anyway all is well, atleast for now. Thanks bro!

That would make sense. However, I don't understand why it was acting that way the whole time with the graphical card. It should address the settings on Auto mode.
Odd for sure. Glad it worked out for you.